Getting Data In

How do you count the number of events in a transaction?

wissenaire17

I need to count the number of particular events in a transaction. Here, I NEED to count the number of tickets that have failed:

[2018-11-16 16:59:45 0665 - Scanned barcode: EndOfTicketBarcode, 2705600009993 (Referrer=2705600009993, POSNumber=056, Checksum=3) 
2018-11-16 16:59:54 0003 - Send ticket failed 
2018-11-16 17:00:06 1833 - Send ticket failed 
2018-11-16 17:00:52 8165 - BLClient :: Connected to 84.10.32.2:8091],
0 Karma

mstjohn_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi @wissenaire17,

Did either of the answers below solve your problem? If so, please resolve this post by approving the one that helped you! If your problem is still not solved, keep us updated so that someone else can help. Thanks for posting!

0 Karma

MathiasLindblom
Path Finder

As mentioned, there are multiple ways to interpret your question, this it my interpretation:
The original question is an example of the log and you want to see how many "Send ticket failed" it contains.
In the example below I use |rex command to extract the timestamp for each "Send ticket failed" (max_match unlimited). Then you can simply count the values in Fails:

<insert base search>
| rex field=_raw "(?P<Fails>\d{4}-\d{2}-\d{2}\s\d{2}:\d{2}:\d{2}\s\d{4})\s-\sSend ticket failed" max_match=0
| eval NrOfFails=mvcount(Fails)
| table _time Referrer Fails NrOfFails

Hope this helps if the answer from @acharlieh didn't work for you!

0 Karma

acharlieh
Influencer

There's multiple ways to interpret your request here.... the first being you're looking for the number of times you have an event of "Send ticket failed" which of course is rather simple

index=whatever sourcetype=yep "Send ticket failed" | stats count

However you mention transaction... which could mean that you're using the transaction command, which as the document says for each transaction that is assembled it leaves a field of eventcount

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...