Getting Data In

How do I specify which sources should be indexed from data inputs and not the entire directory?

rwiltzius
Explorer

Hello,

Please bear with me because I'm new to Splunk and I've only just started using it today. Also note that I am currently running their trial and have not purchased anything yet.

I am looking to index the Application logs from our PeopleSoft server, which are stored as APPSRV_*.LOG on the PeopleSoft server. A new log file is created for each day and the format is APPSRV_MMDD.LOG. Within the directory that the APPSRV logs are stored are other files that are of no interest to me at the moment.

I currently have my data input setup as a UNC path to the directory, but I don't know how to only allow indexing on the APPSRV_MMDD.LOGs and not the others. Is there a way to index only certain file names by using a wildcard and not others, or must I index the entire directory? Please let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you,

Robert

0 Karma
1 Solution

sundareshr
Legend

See if this gets you what you are looking for http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.0/Data/Specifyinputpathswithwildcards

Basically, you will have something like [monitor:///APPSRV_*.log]

View solution in original post

0 Karma

sundareshr
Legend

See if this gets you what you are looking for http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.2.0/Data/Specifyinputpathswithwildcards

Basically, you will have something like [monitor:///APPSRV_*.log]

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...