Getting Data In

How do I group 2 events based on a unique field and extract time of the duration between them?

farhanzakaria

My application always relies on backend service which we are using SOAP. Every successful SOAP call will always have 2 events — request and response. Both events will have one similar field with the same value which is technical id and this is unique to each call.

Request:

2018-12-18 10:46:03,987 {uid=aaa@bb.com, techid=1074979098911391744, sid=9999} - Outbound Message - BackendOne

Response:
2018-12-18 10:46:04,549 {uid=aaa@bb.com, techid=1074979098911391744, sid=9999} - Inbound Message - BackendOne

So based on these results, I'm supposed to extract duration required by each backend services which took more than 1000 ms to complete.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

renjith_nair
Legend

@farhanzakaria,

There are few different ways to get this.

"your search" |stats count,earliest(_time) as start,latest(_time) as end by techid|eval duration=end-start|where duration >1 AND count>1

Using Transaction

"your search"|transaction techid startswith="Outbound Message" endswith="Inbound Message"|where duration>1
---
What goes around comes around. If it helps, hit it with Karma 🙂

View solution in original post

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

@farhanzakaria,

There are few different ways to get this.

"your search" |stats count,earliest(_time) as start,latest(_time) as end by techid|eval duration=end-start|where duration >1 AND count>1

Using Transaction

"your search"|transaction techid startswith="Outbound Message" endswith="Inbound Message"|where duration>1
---
What goes around comes around. If it helps, hit it with Karma 🙂
0 Karma

farhanzakaria

Thank you! The first answer would be the best as transaction would be really costly for my instance.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...

Updated Data Management and AWS GDI Inventory in Splunk Observability

We’re making some changes to Data Management and Infrastructure Inventory for AWS. The Data Management page, ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...