Getting Data In

How do I get logs from network gear to a specific index?

jmads
Explorer

I use Splunk on Windows. I have several heavy forwarders that forward Windows event logs to my indexer cluster into indexes named for the subnet where the Windows boxes reside. One such subnet has both Windows boxes and network gear. The Windows boxes send logs on port 9997 while the network gear sends on port 514 to the Heavy Forwarder. The logs from the Windows boxes show up in the appropriate index on the indexer cluster, but the network gear shows up in the Main index.

How can I get the logs from the network gear to show up in the Network index from that heavy Forwarder? I believe that the solution lies in creations/modifications to the transforms.conf and props.conf files in splunkhome\etc\system\local folder. I appreciate any help. Thanks!

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If your HF is receiving the syslog data directly, look for an inputs.conf setting for udp:514 and add an index=mynetworkindex to it... ideally by running splunk btool --debug inputs list udp

If your HF's machine has a syslog daemon running that receives the data (better practice!), look for a monitor stanza in your HF's inputs.conf that reads the logs from the syslog daemon off disk, and set the network index in there.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If your HF is receiving the syslog data directly, look for an inputs.conf setting for udp:514 and add an index=mynetworkindex to it... ideally by running splunk btool --debug inputs list udp

If your HF's machine has a syslog daemon running that receives the data (better practice!), look for a monitor stanza in your HF's inputs.conf that reads the logs from the syslog daemon off disk, and set the network index in there.

0 Karma

jmads
Explorer

Thanks, Martin! I have to unexpectedly leave work early today, but will give this a shot first thing Monday morning!

0 Karma

jmads
Explorer

Martin, this worked like a champ! Thanks for the help!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

REGISTER NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If ...

Observability | Use Synthetic Monitoring for Website Metadata Verification

If you are on Splunk Observability Cloud, you may already have Synthetic Monitoringin your observability ...

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...