Getting Data In

How can I use a universal forwarder to send log files in specific directory to ArcSight?

bgamblin
Explorer

I am already sending *.debug syslog data to an ArcSight connector in rsyslog.conf. Now they want to monitor some application logs in a specific directory. I have installed the universal forwarder, but not really sure how to setup inputs.conf and outputs.conf to send the log files. Any help is greatly appreciated.

0 Karma

khourihan_splun
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hey B,

You can use monitor input's in your inputs.conf file, or use the CLI. See example 5 here.

Regarding outputs.conf, you want to add something like this into $SPLUNK_HOME/system/local/outputs.conf:

[tcpout]
defaultGroup=my_indexers

[tcpout:my_indexers]
server=mysplunk_indexer1:9997, mysplunk_indexer2:9997
autoLB = true

More info here.

Remember when editing .conf file, you need to restart the forwarder afterwards.

i.e. #splunk restart

Hope this helps,
Kyle

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...