Getting Data In

Help needed with Props.conf

Roy_9
Motivator

Hello,

Can some one please help me with props.conf for the below log?

Timestamp Process TID Area Category EventID Level Message Correlation
03/23/2023 06:10:20.73 w1wp.exe (0x12G8) 0x1F8D SharePoint Foundation Authentication Authorization ag6al Medium OAuth app principal Name=i:0i.t|ms.sp.ext|92d4232b-12w3-57d5-b038-a2c108d5dd18@9a211ce9-5e5a-4dab-8256-6748538485fc, IsAppOnlyRequest=True, UserIdentityName=0i.t|00000003-0110-0gg1-ce00-000000000000|app@sharepoint, ClaimsCount=11 0dd5c32e-121d-adcd-9284-75f41116e8c5
03/23/2023 07:11:27.53 w2wp.exe (0x17F8) 0x1Z74 SharePoint Foundation General af8sw Medium ListRootFolderUrl=/tops/ops/abcd/Forms, CAML query: <View Scope="RecursiveAll"><Query><Where><Eq><FieldRef Name="ID" /><Value Type="Counter">21170</Value></Eq></Where></Query><ViewFields><FieldRef Name="Position_x0010_3" /><FieldRef Name="ID" /></ViewFields><RowLimit Paged="TRUE">1</RowLimit></View> 0dd9b01e-002d-adcd-b28b-91e7hg71fdd9
03/23/2023 09:11:27.73 w8wp.exe (0x25F0) 0x1E9C SharePoint Foundation App Management tempo Medium AppMngMinDb: Got SubscriptionId 0c6554b-12d0-400e-91c6-2bd25af4be5b from partion key. SubscriptionId 00000000-1111-1110-0000-000000444400 is in the SPServiceContext. 0mm9b62e-202d-adcd-9277-75f41666e8c0
03/23/2023 08:45:27.73 w0wp.exe (0x17F8) 0x1V4C SharePoint Foundation App Management tempo Medium AppMngMinDb: Executing query: dbo.proc_AM_GetAppPrincipalPerms on Legacy db with context subId: 00990000-0440-0100-0000-004444400000 and compositeKeyId: 0c98423b-34d0-438m-91c6-2ac25av4ce5d 0dd9b21e-111d-adcd-3333-7111111c0

Thanks

Labels (3)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What have you tried so far?  What separates each field? 

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

Roy_9
Motivator

Hi @richgalloway ,

i tried the below props.conf
TIME_FORMAT =%m/%d/%Y %H:%M:%S.%2N
TIME_PREFIX = ^
LINE_BREAKER = ([\r\n]+)
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false

I am getting the below error for the header
"failed to parse timestamp, defaulting to file modtime", how to fix this?

Roy_9_0-1680464633173.png

Tags (1)
0 Karma

LRF
Path Finder

Hi @Roy_9 ,

I think you won't be able to use %N variable different from the available ones:

%NThe number of subsecond digits. The default is %9N. You can specify %3N = milliseconds, %6N = microseconds, %9N = nanoseconds.

Hope this helps you, have a good day,

Fabrizio

0 Karma

Roy_9
Motivator

Hello @LRF / @richgalloway 

It is n't working even after applying %N or %3N to the time format, I am seeing the error like below.

could not use strp time to parse timestamp from "Timestamp process                    TID           Area                       ".

Any help would be highly appreciated.

0 Karma

LRF
Path Finder

Hi @Roy_9 ,

My bad, I did not understand where you were having the issue.

Splunk is giving you that error because header doesn't have a timestamp and can't interpret it.

To prevent this, you should remove the header with SEDCM (props.conf) or combining props.conf and transforms to discard that specific line.

Hope this helps you, have a nice day,

Fabrizio

Roy_9
Motivator

Thank you for the info, can you help me with the SEDCM Command in order to remove the header? I don’t know how to use it with the props.conf.

0 Karma

LRF
Path Finder

place the following in the props.conf file:

SEDCMD-removeheader = s/^Timestamp\sProcess\sTID\sArea\sCategory\sEventID\sLevel\sMessage\sCorrelation.*//g

General sintax explained in the props.conf documentation: 

* replace - s/regex/replacement/flags
      * regex is a perl regular expression (optionally containing capturing
        groups).
      * replacement is a string to replace the regex match. Use \n for back
        references, where "n" is a single digit.
      * flags can be either: g to replace all matches, or a number to
        replace a specified match.

Hope this helps, have a nice day,

Fabrizio

Roy_9
Motivator

Thank you so much @LRF  and just a quick question 

What if we want to make this events structured, if we want to get the values with respect to each field let's say under process, process value should be displayed,
under TID,  TID value should be displayed, like the same way i wanted for area, category, Event ID Level, Message and correlation.

0 Karma

LRF
Path Finder

With your dataset, it is difficult to use any indexed extraction or similar in props.conf

for reference:

INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS = <CSV|TSV|PSV|W3C|JSON|HEC>

I would personally find a pattern to parse the logs at search time and generate the field extractions for each field

Hope this helps, have a nice day,

Fabrizio

0 Karma

Roy_9
Motivator

I just applied the below to the props.conf but still seeing the same error, unable to remove the header.

SEDCMD-removeheader

Thanks

0 Karma

LRF
Path Finder

Hi @Roy_9 ,

have you specified the entire configuration?

SEDCMD-removeheader = s/^Timestamp\sProcess\sTID\sArea\sCategory\sEventID\sLevel\sMessage\sCorrelation.*//g

I tested it in the Add data preview and the header gets correctly removed as you can see below:

LRF_0-1680536400122.png

Also, header removal won't be applied to already ingested data

Hope this helps you, have a nice day,

Fabrizio

Roy_9
Motivator

Yeah, for some reason, header is not getting removed, I am manually testing it by uploading through Add data section via UI, it is not already indexed.

If you don't mind, can you copy your props.conf stanza and put it here so that i will compare with mine and see if something is missing.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Note that SEDCMD replaces text - it doesn't delete events.  So, in the end, you may still end up with an (empty) event with no timestamp.

To delete the header, use a transform  or Ingest Action that routes the header to nullQueue.

Props.conf:

[mysourcetype]
TRANSFORM-noheader = removeHeader

Transforms.conf:

[removeHeader]
REGEX = ^Timestamp
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

---

LRF
Path Finder

Hi @richgalloway ,

I agree with the transforms/props solution.

I further tested the SEDCMD solution and saw that (at least on my instance) is working as expected.

Is there any known mechanism that automatically remove that empty line? 

that's my sourcetype:

[TestmylogRemoveHeader]
DATETIME_CONFIG = 
LINE_BREAKER = ([\r\n]+)
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
category = Custom
pulldown_type = true

Produced result:

LRF_0-1680548520486.png

Any suggestion is highly appreciated! I'll eventually use the props/transforms as preferred method for these cases.

Have a nice day!
Fabrizio

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I agree with @LRF   The problem is the log header line doesn't have a timestamp (and doesn't need one).  You can ignore the error or, as suggested, remove it.

---
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...