Getting Data In

Enable forward-server in Linux Universal Forwarder

frejen

Hi,

I have some problems with running the following command.

$ splunk add forward-server host:port

It asks for username and password, i assume that the credentials should be the ones used when logging in to the Splunk WebUI. But authentication fails. I have also tried with the credentials for the local Splunk account. But still no luck.

When reading the Universal Deployment Manual I can not see any information about authentication. I have not added any SSL Cert, i guess this issue can be related to SSL communication between Forwarder and Reciever. But i just want to use the default certs.

I have tried running the command both as root and splunk user. But no luck at all.

Any ideas?

0 Karma
1 Solution

sergemueller
Explorer

there is a small hint in the universalforwader docu.(i think its a comment)

it is the default login:
admin/changeme

View solution in original post

unwiresplunk

Thank you lukejadamec, that was outside my thinking box at the time of writing - the file is like a htpasswd file... I should have noticed that 🙂 Thanks

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

Yes, there is a way to change the password without using the -password parameter.

See this article from Splunk:
docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/5.0.3/Security/Deploysecurepasswordsacrossmultipleservers

0 Karma

unwiresplunk

Is there a way to change the password without using the "-password " parameter on the CLI to avoid using a script to keep .bash_history clean ?

0 Karma

sergemueller
Explorer

there is a small hint in the universalforwader docu.(i think its a comment)

it is the default login:
admin/changeme

sergemueller
Explorer

http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/12638/prompt-for-splunk-user-when-configuring-universal-forwar...

search is your friend:)

./splunk edit user admin -password coolNewP455w3rdddd

0 Karma

frejen

Hi,

Thank you that did the trick! But the password for "admin" i use to login to WebUI has been changed is not "changeme". How can i change that password?

Frej

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...