Getting Data In

Don't Index Certain Data

Kyle_Brandt
Path Finder

I have turned on security auditing temporarily in Windows and because of this have exceeded my indexing limit.

I was told when purchasing Splunk that you can prevent certain data from being index with filters to prevent this from happening.

How do I create one of these filters?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

csparling

Is it also possible to not index certain data if you're not using a forwarder? Our setup is pretty simple in that we only have a single Splunk instance running without any forwarding. I've tried a number of times to set up Splunk to drop data based on the client IP by following the steps outlined but not having any luck!

0 Karma

ziegfried
Influencer

You can find the relevant documentation here: http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/4.1.7/Admin/Routeandfilterdata

You need to send those events to the nullQueue via transforms.

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This should help with the "which files" queston: http://www.splunk.com/wiki/Where_do_I_configure_my_Splunk_settings%3F but pretty much if you're using LWF, you filter on the indexer.

0 Karma

Kyle_Brandt
Path Finder

At zeigfried, any chance you could spoonfeed me an example for for wineventlog:security coming in via a light forwarder from certain hosts? Also confused about which props / trans files I should be editing...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...