Getting Data In

Changing hostname from FQDN to shortname from syslog input

MasterOogway
Communicator

I have an issue with mixed hostnames being defined as FQDN and Shortnames when indexed from syslog on port 514. I require all hostnames to be Short. I am trying to define a transforms (or another method) to take only the shortname from the HOST field but have stumbled on how this is accomplished given the hostname is defined NOT from within the event string, but from the forwarding host. So there is nothing to build a Transforms around/against.

Is there a simple method to define a shortname (and not at seach time) as the data is indexed from syslog?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

iunderwood
Path Finder

I did something very similar for my Riverbed App, by using a pair of search-time transforms. The first takes the first element of the shortname ... but I also needed something to return a full IPv4 address. It does assume that hostnames do not begin with a number:

This is in props.conf:

REPORT-rbsh_hostname = rbsh_hostname
REPORT-rbsh_hostname_ip = rbsh_hostname_ip

This is in transforms.conf:

[rbsh_hostname]
SOURCE_KEY = host
REGEX = (?=[a-zA-Z])(?P<hostname>[^ ]+?)\.
FORMAT = hostname::$1

[rbsh_hostname_ip]
SOURCE_KEY = host
REGEX = (?=\d+\.\d+\.\d+\.\d+)(?P<hostname>[^$]+)
FORMAT = hostname::$1

This should be able to point you in the right direction.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...