Getting Data In

Change SPLUNK_HOME after install on Windows?

MattK
Explorer

Have a 4.1.4 install on Windows 2008 R2 that I would like to improve performance on. Indexes stored on dedicated RAID-5 volume after setting path in splunk-launch.conf.

I see disk activity on the system OS RAID-1 volume (C:\Program Files\Splunk\var) that I would like to move to a different RAID-5 volume from the indexes.

Can this be performed without a reinstall? Changing SPLUNK_HOME in splunk-launch.conf seemed to prevent the splunkd process from starting.

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

southeringtonp
Motivator

Changing $SPLUNK_HOME is best done with a reinstall, but if you just want to move the indexes, it's overkill.

Instead, change $SPLUNK_DB.

Take a look at:
     http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/4.1.5/Admin/Moveanindex

It does't mention it in the docs page, but you should also review any indexes.conf files, looking for any hard-coded paths. Most paths should already be relative to $SPLUNK_DB.

View solution in original post

southeringtonp
Motivator

Changing $SPLUNK_HOME is best done with a reinstall, but if you just want to move the indexes, it's overkill.

Instead, change $SPLUNK_DB.

Take a look at:
     http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/4.1.5/Admin/Moveanindex

It does't mention it in the docs page, but you should also review any indexes.conf files, looking for any hard-coded paths. Most paths should already be relative to $SPLUNK_DB.

MattK
Explorer

Reinstall is the approach I took to reset SPLUNK_HOME.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...