Getting Data In

Can not choose default sourcetype=_json while onboarding

Sandivsu
Observer

We can not choose default source type _json while onboarding.

Need to extract the json data within the log file, which is essential for an app owner.

log format - 2024-01-01T09:50:44+01:00 hostname APP2SAP[354]: {JSON data}

I have a splunk intermediate forwarder read these log files. Log file has non-json data followed by json data which bread n butter for application team (log format as shown above).

If I forward the data as-is to splunk, extraction is not proper, since it has non-json data at beginning.

Now, I need props n (or) transforms to extract, which I am not sure how.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Unfortunately, at the moment Splunk cannot automatically extract the structured data if it's not the whole event (as in your case - the json part is preceeded by non-json header).

There is an open idea for that https://ideas.splunk.com/ideas/EID-I-208

So far you can either parse the json part in search with help of the spath command as @VatsalJagani already showed or cut away the header part using SEDCMD or INGEST_EVAL (possibly extracting indexed fields if needed prior to removing the non-structured part).

As a side note - you should _not_ use the _json sourcetype. Define your own

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@Sandivsu - Not sure if you can do that with props and transforms. But I'll provide a solution you can apply at the search query level.

index=<your-index> .....
| rex field=_raw "\s\w+\[\w+\]:\s(?<json_content>\{.*\})"
| spath input=json_content

I hope this helps!!! Kindly upvote if it does!!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...