Getting Data In

Another timestamp configuration issue

ebeckinger

I am trying to get my time stamp configured.

My log file has a recognizable date in the title and all my log messages are getting indexed to this date. In each raw log message there is a clearly defined time stamp.

Sample start of log message:
[ WARN] [11.09.21 14:12:05] [95]

I have a props.conf in my local directory (spluts/etc/system/local) and have changed the DATETIME_CONFIG to point to my custom datetime.xml

[default]
DATETIME_CONFIG = \etc\system\local\datetime.xml

My datetime.xml looks like this:

<datetime>
   <define name="_mydatetimeformat" extract="year, month, day, hour, minute, second">
       <text><![CDATA[^(?:\[.*\]\s\[)([0-9]+)\.([0-9]+)\.([0-9]+)\s([0-9]+):([0-9]+):([0-9]+)]]></text>
   </define>
   <timePatterns>
       <use name="_mydatetimeformat"/>
   </timePatterns>
   <datePatterns>
       <use name="_mydatetimeformat"/>
   </datePatterns> 
</datetime>

Perhaps I am not understanding how splunk associates the captures group with the different date fields. But adding this change doesn't seem to affect the dates that are displayed when searching. All log messages are still getting shown as the date time stamp found in the file name.

Any help is appreciated!

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Hi,

I don't think you need to alter the datetime xml file. It's probably easier to add the TIME_PREFIX and TIME_FORMAT for your sourcetype stanza in props.conf (on the indexer).

In your case, that would probably be;

[your_sourcetype]
TIME_PREFIX = ^\[[A-Z]\]\s*\[
TIME_FORMAT = %y\.%m\.%d\s+%H:%M:%S

This is assuming that the severity ([WARN]) is only uppercase letters. You can find more information in the documentation.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/4.2.3/Data/Configuretimestamprecognition

Hope this helps,

Kristian

0 Karma

ebeckinger

I tried the time prefix and time format and it is still using the date in the file name to time stamp all of the log files.

I tried indexing a log file without a time stamp in the file name and it looks like it is parsing the year, month, day correctly but is also using these values for the hour, minute, and second

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...