Deployment Architecture

Splunk forwarder, instance, Sending log from my Linux installed on Hyper-v

ibztek
Loves-to-Learn Lots

I'm trying to send log from my Linux installed on Hyper-v windows into my Splunk instance and it data doesn't seem to reach it's destination. I have entered the port number in my Splunk instance - Receive data - configure receiving and entered my port number. i edited my input.conf file and why can't I see my log in Splunk???

Labels (1)
0 Karma

ibztek
Loves-to-Learn Lots

write now i am getting error when i try to ping splunkdeploy.customerscallnow.com: name or service not known..i seem to follow a prety nice instruction but i am not yet able to connect 

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
This error told that your DNS service cannot found it for that name. You should fix it first and then check if UF works after that.
0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Check the contents of /opt/splunkforwarder/var/log/splunk/splunkd.log on your forwarder (especially the last entries in that log). That should show you whether it tried to connect to the indexer and if it did, why it failed.

0 Karma

ibztek
Loves-to-Learn Lots

it is tryiing to connect but it failes with name or service uknown

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

So either your outputs.conf in the forwarder point to a wrong server or you have DNS problems in your VM.

0 Karma

ibztek
Loves-to-Learn Lots
index=_internal host=<your UF node name + *> earliest=1

doesn't seem to reply anything.

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could find your UF’s name from its $SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/splunkd.log. That log file contains also information if it can send it’s own logs to splunk server.

I assume that you have outputs.conf on place and it has defined your splunk server as a target?

0 Karma

ibztek
Loves-to-Learn Lots

iam trying to find my uf node name..im very new to splunk

0 Karma

ibztek
Loves-to-Learn Lots

i don't see my host in the splunk at all.

0 Karma

ibztek
Loves-to-Learn Lots

how can i do that, can you be a bit specific ? thank you

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You could make a query on sh like 

index=_internal host=<your UF node name + *> earliest=1

this should show some entries, if your UF has connection to server. 

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

can you see that your UF has sent its internal logs to server?

r. Ismo

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...