Deployment Architecture

Indexer after restart - need to login to connect to cluster?

TriviaPostal234
Engager

Hello dear Splunk experts,

I like to understand a "re-connection hickup":

One of my indexers from the index cluster needed a timeout. So I used

~/bin/splunk offline --decommission_node_force_timeout 3600

to take it (kind of gracefully) offline. The cluster master shows "Restarting" (~/bin/splunk show cluster-status --verbose) so I started working on it and later rebooted the machine, Splunk started on the indexer and then.... nothing - The cluster master showed still "Restarting" for over 10 minutes.

So I decided to login to the web view of the indexer, navigated to the settings / peer stuff and about 20 seconds later the cluster master cluster-status showed it as "status UP" without changing anything.

Some days later I did the same with another indexer and it was the same story - I needed to login to the web view in order to have the peer shown as UP in the cluster.

Is there anything in the docs that I have missed? Is this normal? (How can I trust the self-healing capabilities of the cluster, if one needs to manually log in to the peer after a downtime?)

Thanks a lot + kind regards, Triv

Labels (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...