Deployment Architecture

Error in admin permissions by cleaning search head node

patrickvanreck
Loves-to-Learn

Hi all

I got some strange errors by trying to add more member nodes in our Search Head Cluster.
First of all, I could not add more members later on.

After reading the wiki Clean the Splunk instance and perfoming the following well explained steps, i got an error and the Search Head is now dead.

First I cleaned the Search head:

splunk stop
splunk clean all
splunk start

Then, trying again to add the member to the Search Head cluster, I got the following error:

/opt/splunk/bin/splunk init shcluster-config -auth admin:<password> -mgmt_uri  https://shc1.logcentral.media.int:8089 -replication_port 8090 -replication_factor 3 -conf_deploy_fetch_url  https://shcdep1.logcentral.media.int:8089 -secret <secret-pw> -shcluster_label Production_SHC 

You (user=admin) do not have permission to perform this operation (requires capability: edit_search_head_clustering).

Do you have any idea what's wrong?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

vinkumar_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You (user=admin) do not have permission to perform this operation (requires capability: edit_search_head_clustering).

The error denotes that the user does not have the capability to perform the action. You can tweak the authorize.conf or from GUI, Access controls » Roles » *** and provide the access under Capabilities.

By default, an admin will have the privilege.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...