Deployment Architecture

After changing data retention, why is indexes.conf not working on one indexer?

kiran331
Builder

Hi

I have changed the data retention and pushed the bundle from the cluster master. In 2 indexers, the data got deleted but in one indexer, it's still the same. The indexes.conf in the slave-apps is same on all 3 indexers. What changes do I have to make so that the indexer will remove data from the cold buckets of one index?

Splunk version - 6.4.2

0 Karma

dxu_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

try using btool to figure out which file is providing which configuration.

bin/splunk btool indexes list INDEX_IN_QUESTION --debug
0 Karma

kiran331
Builder

it shows the correct file and its same on other 2 indexers, the issue is only for that one index.

0 Karma

vasanthmss
Motivator

hope the below debugging steps will helps you,

1. run this on cluster master, /opt/splunk/bin/splunk show cluster-bundle-status and validate the bundle status. all indexers should have the same bundle id and time.
  2. keep the cluster master in maintenance mode /opt/splunk/bin/splunk enable maintenance-mode and restart all the indexers. hopefully this will fix the issue. then disable the maintenance mode /opt/splunk/bin/splunk disable maintenance-mode

Cheers!!

V
0 Karma

kiran331
Builder

Hi Vasanthmss, thanks for your response, I tried restarting all indexers, one indexer is still same.

0 Karma

vasanthmss
Motivator

check the other indexers, etc/system/* and etc/apps/*

Seems like other stanza overriding your bundle priority.

V
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...