Dashboards & Visualizations

Why are my tokens not getting set when a scheduled PDF is produced?

paddygriffin
Path Finder

Works in interactive mode but token does not get set when scheduled PDF is produced.

Dashboard panel 1 sets a token as below

<finalized>
    <set token="mytoken">true</set>
  </finalized>

Panel 2 uses the token in two ways - (1) depends attribute references the token; (2) token value is used in chart title

<title>Sales by Category $mytoken$</title>

In producing scheduled PDF, it seems (a) the token is not set, (b) the depends attribute is ignored since the panel displays regardless.
I don't see anything regarding this in the documented limitations on scheduled PDF production.

rjthibod
Champion

I am pretty positive the answer is it is not possible to do what you want in one dashboard.

I don't think the PDF scheduled delivery mechanism exercises the full Splunk Web framework to generate the dashboard as you would want (i.e., getting token values) to populate the PDF.

In general, I would suggest making two versions: 1) one that is dynamic for a human to interact with, and 2) one that is solely for automated PDF generation.

j0e3gan
Explorer

Thanks for confirming, but how silly.  PDF generation is a minefield with all the expected features it lacks.

0 Karma

krish3
Contributor

I have same issue wer u able to get around this?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...