Dashboards & Visualizations

Splunkd.log Moved to /var/log/splunk

hartfoml
Motivator

My splunkd.log file moved to ./var/log/splunk/ this file is recording a lot of unusual log entries and rolling over quite often. Attached is an image of the log files.

I have two questions.

1) How do I get the log files back to $SPLUNKHOME/var/log/splunk/...?
2) How do I stop the unusual log files from overwhelming?

Any help would be appreciated.

08-16-2013 10:54:40.379 -0500 INFO ExecProcessor - Ran script: python /opt/splunkf/splunk/etc/apps/dbx/bin/jbridge_server.py, took 228.6 milliseconds to run, 0 bytes read, exited with code 1
08-16-2013 10:54:40.611 -0500 INFO ExecProcessor - Ran script: python /opt/splunkf/splunk/etc/apps/dbx/bin/jbridge_server.py, took 230.7 milliseconds to run, 0 bytes read, exited with code 1
08-16-2013 10:54:40.840 -0500 INFO ExecProcessor - Ran script: python /opt/splunkf/splunk/etc/apps/dbx/bin/jbridge_server.py, took 227.9 milliseconds to run, 0 bytes read, exited with code 1
08-16-2013 10:54:40.992 -0500 WARN DateParserVerbose - A possible timestamp match (mojojojo:/vobstore/cots/vobs/dragon.vbs /vobs/cots/dragon mvfs uuid=95c728af.920211) is outside of the acceptable time window. If this timestamp is correct, consider adjusting MAX_DAYS_AGO and MAX_DAYS_HENCE. Context="source::/etc/mtab|host::blade012|mtab-too_small|remoteport::56543"

Log Image File

Tags (2)
0 Karma

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You should check if your $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/log.cfg has not be modified (get a new one from a fresh install if needed)

and also check if you have an hardcoded definition of $SPLUNK_HOME in your $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/splunk-launch.conf

0 Karma

jgedeon120
Contributor

appender.A1.fileName=/var/log/splunk/splunkd.log, change to appender.A1.fileName=${SPLUNK_HOME}/var/log/splunk/splunkd.log

You may want to look at other entries.

0 Karma

hartfoml
Motivator

in the log.cfg I have this config

# $SPLUNK_HOME/var/log/splunk/splunkd_std...
appender.A1.fileName=/var/log/splunk/splunkd.log

in the splunk-launch.conf I have this config

SPLUNK_HOME=/opt/splunk
SPLUNK_BINDIP=X.X.X.X

yet the logs are in the "./var/log/splunk" not the "/opt/splunk/var/log/splunk"

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...