Dashboards & Visualizations

Removing string values and then matching field values?

ichesla1111
Path Finder

Hello, I am trying to match values in two different columns to see if both data sets contain the same serial number for a cellphone part. 

My search:

index=.. my search..... CellNumber="978499-" |dedup CellSerialNumber |table CellNumber CellSerialNumber

|appendcols [search ......CellNumber="978499-ALL" |dedup CellSerial |table CellNumber CellSerial]

| eval result=if(match(CellSerial,"%".CellSerialNumber."%"),"Contained", "Not Contained")

Results:

ichesla1111_1-1663010625013.png

Looking deeper into the data I see there is CellSerialNumber values with their last 6 digits (-6digits) equal to the six digit CellSerial number, yet they are given a "Not contained" value.

Why is this??

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

skramp
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I think you should do the following:

write a search - best without an appendcols, join, dedup, etc - where you get events where the field CellSerialNumber  OR CellSerial  has a value. After this, you create a new field like "testnumber" which will be filled with the last digits of CellSerialNumber OR with CellSerial, depending which the event has. Then you can create a chart values(CellSerialNumber) count(CellSerialNumber) values(CellSerial) count(CellSerial) by testnumber, so you'll get your needed information aggregated. Then you can check if both counters are greater than 1 and if so it is containing. You could also do a fillnull and search for 0 and say it es not containing 😉

View solution in original post

skramp
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

if they are from different indexes (I suppose this is ment by different data sets?) you can also do something like "index=a OR index=b", so you'll get events out of both indexes

0 Karma

ichesla1111
Path Finder

Perfect! I can do that, but each cell serial number starts with "978499-5-****" where the "978499-5- is constant for every CellSerialNumber where the **** is the unique identifier which would be equal to the Cell serial value if they are in both data sets. 

I am trying the trim command:  | eval CellserialNumber=ltrim(CellserialNumber," 978499-5-"), yet when doing this, it cut's of some of the numerical values when it returns the answer. Would there be a way to do this with the rex command?

0 Karma

skramp
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I think you should do the following:

write a search - best without an appendcols, join, dedup, etc - where you get events where the field CellSerialNumber  OR CellSerial  has a value. After this, you create a new field like "testnumber" which will be filled with the last digits of CellSerialNumber OR with CellSerial, depending which the event has. Then you can create a chart values(CellSerialNumber) count(CellSerialNumber) values(CellSerial) count(CellSerial) by testnumber, so you'll get your needed information aggregated. Then you can check if both counters are greater than 1 and if so it is containing. You could also do a fillnull and search for 0 and say it es not containing 😉

ichesla1111
Path Finder

I am trying your appraoch for the values and stats column chart, but how would I use rex to cutt of the first part of the CellserialNumber? Right now each cell serial number starts with "978499-5-****" where the "978499-5- is constant for every CellserialNumber where the **** is the unique identifier which would be equal to the Cell serial value if they are in both data sets. 

I am trying the trim command:  | eval CellserialNumber=ltrim(CellserialNumber," 978499-5-"), yet when doing this, it cut's of some of the numerical values when it returns the answer. Would there be a way to do this with the rex command?

0 Karma

skramp
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

| rex field=CellserialNumber "978499-5-(?<testnumber>.*)"

ichesla1111
Path Finder

Thank you!!!!

0 Karma

ichesla1111
Path Finder

Thank you for getting back to me! Unfortunately, I have to do an appendcols command for the CellSerialNumber and CellSerial field values are from different data sets. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

REGISTER NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If ...

Observability | Use Synthetic Monitoring for Website Metadata Verification

If you are on Splunk Observability Cloud, you may already have Synthetic Monitoringin your observability ...

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...