Dashboards & Visualizations

How to pass field values into splunk dashboard panels ?

puneetkharband1
Path Finder

I have splunk dashboard where I am displaying logs from 2 different data centers and based on data centers number of host/hostname changes.

if I select datacenter 1 from drop down then server 1 & 2 becomes active and their logs reflect in panels below.
if I select datacenter 2 from drop down then server 3 & 4 becomes active and their logs reflect in panels below.

I dont want to create 2 seapate dashboards as this DC numbers will increase so wanted to have one single dashboard.

Server is a field which has 4 values server1-4

Please recommend solutions how do I pass values from server field to another panels in the same dashboard.

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@puneetkharbanda you need to add more details as to what kind of SPLs are used in Panel 1, 2, 3, 4.

Use Case 1: If you want to just change the values server1, server2, server3 and server4 in the underlying SPLs you can just code the same in the <change> event handler of the datacenter dropdown.

Use Case 2: If the SPLs for server1 and 2 differ completely from server 3 and 4, you can
Case a: Set the SPL as token for underlying panels.
Case b: Set and unset token based on whether datacenter 1 or datacenter 2 is chosen and have depends and rejects for the token applied on respective panels and their searches so that they get hidden and do not run depending on which datacenter is chosen.

Please elaborate your use case of passing value and consuming in the respective panels so that community can assist you better.

Meanwhile for Use Case 1 you can try the following in the Datacenter dropdown

<change>
         <condition value="datacenter1">
               <set token="tokServer">server1,server2</set>
         </condition>
         <condition value="datacenter2">
               <set token="tokServer">server3,server4</set>
         </condition>
    </change>

then use token tokServer in the respective panels like

server IN ($tokServer$)

PS: This is just one example, there are several ways to implement this depending on your use case as described above and also underlying SPLs.

puneetkharband1
Path Finder

@somesoni2 can you please recommend any solution to this ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...