Dashboards & Visualizations

How to create a column chart By time Today/Yesterday/LastWeekDay by specific Field value?

sukansingh
Explorer

I want to see the 500 error count for each Customers over time (Today/Yesterday/LastWeekOfDay) So total 3 days.

Below screenshot is Kibana Chart. How can we create same kind of chart in Splunk?

sukansingh_0-1675866432264.png

I have tried below timechart query but x axis have time first instead of customerId.

index="services" statusCode="500" | timechart span=1d count by customerId

I have also tried with below Query But I feel Count in response in not correct.

index="services" statusCode="500" | bucket _time span=day | chart count by customerId,_time | head 10

Is there a better way to do it?

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If it is always the last / latest column, you could try something like this

| sort 0
    [| makeresults
    | addinfo 
    | eval search=strftime(info_max_time-1, "%F")
    | fields search
    | format "" "" "" "" "" ""]

View solution in original post

sukansingh
Explorer

Thanks @ITWhisperer , This Query is working for me. Now I'm facing a challenge to sort by specific column let say 3rd column.

index="services" statusCode="500" | bucket _time span=day | eval time=strftime(_time,"%F") | chart count by customerId

sukansingh_0-1675967738296.png

Since these date fields are dynamically getting generated and user can specify any date range So I can not specify | sort -"2023-02-09" .

In this case how to sort by any specific column which is dynamically generated by bucket _time span?

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The user can select the "up arrow" or "down arrow" next to the column name to sort the results by that column.

0 Karma

sukansingh
Explorer

@ITWhisperer , I want to do the sorting through Query as we need to use this chart in Dashboard.

I wonder if Splunk even have this feature.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If it is always the last / latest column, you could try something like this

| sort 0
    [| makeresults
    | addinfo 
    | eval search=strftime(info_max_time-1, "%F")
    | fields search
    | format "" "" "" "" "" ""]

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your chart should work only _time will be in seconds, so I suggest you create a field with time formatted and use that field as the second dimension on the chart.

index="services" statusCode="500" 
| bucket _time span=day 
| eval time=strftime(_time,"%F")
| chart count by customerId, time
| head 10
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

REGISTER NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If ...

Observability | Use Synthetic Monitoring for Website Metadata Verification

If you are on Splunk Observability Cloud, you may already have Synthetic Monitoringin your observability ...

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...