Dashboards & Visualizations

How can I create a query to find dashboard usage and top used dashboards of all the dashboards in my environment?

Jewatson17
Path Finder

I need a query that will pull the count or percentage of usage of each dashboard in my environment or a query to list the used dashboards.

1 Solution

cmerriman
Super Champion
index="_internal" user!="-"  sourcetype=splunkd_ui_access "en-US/app"  | rex field=uri "en-US/app/(?<app>[^/]+)/(?<dashboard>[^?/\s]+)" | search  dashboard!="search" dashboard!="home" dashboard!="alert" dashboard!="lookup_edit" dashboard!="@go" dashboard!="data_lab" dashboard!="dataset" dashboard!="datasets" dashboard!="alerts" dashboard!="dashboards" dashboard!="reports" dashboard!="report" 

that should get you dashboards usage. follow that by one of the following to list out usage by user/day or percentage overall.

| bucket _time span=1d | stats dc(dashboard) as c by dashboard user _time
|top dashboard

View solution in original post

cmerriman
Super Champion
index="_internal" user!="-"  sourcetype=splunkd_ui_access "en-US/app"  | rex field=uri "en-US/app/(?<app>[^/]+)/(?<dashboard>[^?/\s]+)" | search  dashboard!="search" dashboard!="home" dashboard!="alert" dashboard!="lookup_edit" dashboard!="@go" dashboard!="data_lab" dashboard!="dataset" dashboard!="datasets" dashboard!="alerts" dashboard!="dashboards" dashboard!="reports" dashboard!="report" 

that should get you dashboards usage. follow that by one of the following to list out usage by user/day or percentage overall.

| bucket _time span=1d | stats dc(dashboard) as c by dashboard user _time
|top dashboard

MuS
Legend

Thanks for this nice search @cmerriman !

For everyone else out there that are wondering why they don't get results after c/p this SPL: remember not everyone uses "en-US/app" as locale 😉

cheers, MuS

cmerriman
Super Champion

Good point @MuS ! Thanks!

0 Karma

Jewatson17
Path Finder

I try to run it and I get No results found
Any reason?

0 Karma

BrettRoberts
Explorer

This was perfect for my use case! Thanks so much

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

if you run index="_internal" sourcetype=splunkd_ui_access do you get results? try to break the search down bit by bit. this is the search ran on my environment, so it may need a bit of tweaking.

0 Karma

Jewatson17
Path Finder

yes this populates results

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

when you add | rex field=uri "/app/(?<app>[^/]+)/(?<dashboard>[^?/\s]+)", do you get fields called app and dashboard that are populated with apps (search, and other apps in your enviro as well as dashboard names)? i'm tweaking this on the fly a little.

0 Karma

Jewatson17
Path Finder

I do not get any of those fields populated

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

then that's where the problem is. try the rex command without field=uri. | rex "/app/(?<app>[^/]+)/(?<dashboard>[^?/\s]+)" it'll regex from the raw event. see if that works and populates accurate results.

0 Karma

Jewatson17
Path Finder

That worked. Thank you. I have results now, but Should the results only be dashboard names or does it populate all views? I only want dashboard names.

0 Karma

cmerriman
Super Champion

it brings in pages like alerts, dashboards, reports, etc. we use | search dashboard!="search" dashboard!="home" dashboard!="alert" dashboard!="lookup_edit" dashboard!="@go" dashboard!="data_lab" dashboard!="dataset" dashboard!="datasets" dashboard!="alerts" dashboard!="dashboards" dashboard!="reports" dashboard!="report" in ours to exclude those. you can also add search app=search if you're only looking for the search and reporting dashboards.

0 Karma

Jewatson17
Path Finder

thanks a lot!

0 Karma

jayachandrank
Explorer

@cmerriman Hi..It works well ask per your comments but i can see it shows others private dashboards usage as well which I don't want because they can be used to test purpose which they will hit many times definitely... I need to check only the dashboards which are shared to all users.. i need to ignore the private dashboards which created by anyone...How to achieve this

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
0 Karma

Kwip
Contributor

You can the Dashboard Monitoring App from Splunk Base for better experience of data.

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3350/

And follow the below post, may be fulfill your need

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/126036/case-how-to-find-the-dashboard-usage-data.html

0 Karma

anywhere99
Explorer

Thanks for the searches!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...