Dashboards & Visualizations

Dashboard - Check Results Against Fixed List

pgates
Explorer

I have a dashboard where I want to report whether each value of the results of a query matches a value in a fixed list.

I have a base search that produces  the fixed list:

<search id="expectedResults">
<query>
| makeresults
| eval expectedResults="My Item 1", "My Item 2", "My Item 3"
| makemv delim="," expectedResults
| mvexpand expectedResults
| table expectedResults
</query>
<done>
<set token="expectedResults">$result.expectedResults$</set>
</done>
</search>

Then I have multiple panels that will get results from different sources, pseudo-coded here:

index="my_index_1"  query 
| table actualResults
| stats values(actualResults) as actualResults

Assume that the query returns "My Item 1" and "My Item 2".

I am not sure how to compare the values returned from my query against the base list, to give something that reports whether it matches each value.

My Item 1True
My Item 2True
My Item 3False
Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You possibly need to expand on your usecase. Does your "base search" return your expected results on a particular order and do they have a key field which can be correlated with against your actual results? Also, you should bear in mind that stats values() returns a multivalue field in dedup and sorted order, which may not necessarily be in the same order as your base search.

0 Karma

pgates
Explorer

The base search is a hard-coded list of known values using makeresults, so I could certainly add a key (and it could match the field name being returned in the query).

| makeresults 
| eval expectedResults=actualResults="My Item 1", actualResults="My Item 2", actualResults="My Item 3"
| makemv delim="," expectedResults
| mvexpand expectedResults
| table expectedResults

I'm not concerned about a sort order, except maybe when I do a final presentation of the data.  It's more about determining which values are returned in the query matching (or not matching) the values in the base list.

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Your makeresults isn't valid SPL so it is still a little unclear what you are working with.

Having said that, if you make results has two fields, a key field and an expected results field, you could append your makeresults to your actual results and then use stats to combine the events by their key values and then you can compare whether they are different.

0 Karma

pgates
Explorer

Sorry - learning a few things as I go here.

Basically, I just need to compare the results of a search to a static known list of values.

The search will return a list of values using stats.

stats values(actualResults) as actualResults

I guess I'm not 100% clear on what to do first to create the static list using makeresults, and then to append/use stats to combine - I have attempted to do so without getting the results I expect.

If I were to put it in SQL terms, I'd have a reference table of known values ("My Item 1", "My Item 2", etc.) and a results table of data to search, and I'd do a left outer join:

Ref Table: MY_REF_TABLE

KNOWN_ITEM
My Item 1
My Item 2
My Item 3
My Item 4

Results Table: MY_RESULTS_TABLE

RESULT_ITEM
My Item 1
My Item 3

Query:

select KNOWN_ITEM, 
case when result_item is null then 'No Match' else 'Match' end HasMatch
from MY_REF_TABLE
left join MY_RESULTS_TABLE
on KNOWN_ITEM= RESULT_ITEM

Results:

KNOWN_ITEMHASMATCH
My Item 1Match
My Item 2No Match
My Item 3Match
My Item 4No Match
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer at Splunk .conf24 ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK: a Step-by-Step Guide for ...

Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step guide for newbies Olga Malita The ...