All Apps and Add-ons

inputs.conf for PAN app when collecting from syslog server

JSapienza
Contributor

We already have the pan devices logging to our syslog-ng server. I have deployed the the following inputs.conf to the forwarder:

# syslog forwarder inputs
  [monitor:///var/log/syslog/PaloAlto/]
  host_segment = 5
  index = pan_logs
  sourcetype = pan_log
  blacklist = \.(gz|bz2)$

Data is hitting the pan_logs index however none of the dashboards are populating. After looking at some of the searched I noticed other pan sourcetypes that are not being populated. I assume these are supposed to be rewritten at index time? . All data in the pan_logs index is sourcetype = pan_log. Any ideas ?

0 Karma

btorresgil
Builder

Hello,

If the logs are coming in as sourcetype=pan_log, then that is usually due to a parsing issue because it is supposed to parse the logs and separate them into different sourcetypes. Typically it can't parse the logs because they have been changed in some way from their original default format. Check that you aren't using a custom log format on the firewall, and that your syslog-ng server isn't changing the logs so that the parser can't determine the correct sourcetype for each log.

-Brian

0 Karma

JSapienza
Contributor

Thanks Brian, So I should not explicitly set the sourcetype in the monitor stanza ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...