All Apps and Add-ons

Why is VMware Carbon Black Cloud eventtypes not applying correctly?

poconnell_t
Engager

I'm having issues with eventtypes not correctly being applied from VMware Carbon Black Cloud ingest that I can't figure out, as each search in the chain successfully finds events. These are the three eventtypes that chain together. The first two apply correctly (vmware_cbc_base_index, vmware_cbc_alerts), but not the third (vmware_cbc_malware).

From eventtypes.conf:

[vmware_cbc_base_index]
search = index=carbonblack_audit

[vmware_cbc_alerts]
search = eventtype=vmware_cbc_base_index sourcetype="vmware:cbc:s3:alerts" OR sourcetype="vmware:cbc:alerts"

[vmware_cbc_malware]
search = eventtype=vmware_cbc_alerts threat_cause_threat_category="*MALWARE*" NOT threat_cause_threat_category="*NON_MALWARE*"

When I use the search in the third eventtype (vmware_cbc_malware), I do get events. Search:
eventtype=vmware_cbc_alerts threat_cause_threat_category="*MALWARE*" NOT threat_cause_threat_category="*NON_MALWARE*"
| stats count by eventtype

eventtype count
vmware_cbc_alerts 65
vmware_cbc_base_index 65

Can anyone help me figure out why this third eventtype is not being applied?

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

poconnell_t
Engager

Sigh, nevermind, this was an issue with exports in default.meta.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

poconnell_t
Engager

Sigh, nevermind, this was an issue with exports in default.meta.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...