All Apps and Add-ons

What is the best way to get familiar with Sidview Utils app?

xvxt006
Contributor

Hi,

I just saw this sideview utils and it seems pretty interesting in terms of its capabilities. I have been creating simple dashboards in Splunk and recently small forms which has pretty basic stuff (selecting a source, selecting a particular uri for the searches in the widgets, etc.

So i want to know what is the best way to get familiar with sideview utils. I want to go step by step. There seems to be lot of modules in Key Techniques (My admin has installed it version is 1.1). So if i want to try these do i need to be in that sideview App or can i use that sample code in Search App? I took the code from Pulldown - Static Config and pasted it one of the empty dashboards in Search App.

i got few errors.

Pulldown is configured statically but with only a single option

Splunk encountered following unkown module: "Table". The view may not load properly.

Error in 'stats' command: The argument * is invalid

The view has a splunk.module.pager module but it is configured with no child modules to push its changes to. This represents a configuration error.

=================================================================================================
Please let me know if this is not the right way to do it. Also if i have to go through any other documentation let me know.
My end goal is to create dashboards like you have in your sideview utils page where you can do lot of drill downs based on results...

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Update to the latest version http://sideviewapps.com/apps/sideview-utils/

the 1.X versions are ancient. In addition to a giant leap forward in features, performance and reliability, you'll get much much better documentation and working examples.

xvxt006
Contributor

Yes you are right. We have pre-2.0 version

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you clarify what version you have installed? You'll want the latest version from the sideviewapps.com website. If you're getting that Pager error, and that Table module error on the same page, then it almost certainly means you have a Sideview Utils app with no Table module, which means a pre-2.0 version (VERY old).

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Grab the current version (3.2.9) and go through the massive documentation included in that. Free for internal use \o/

http://apps.splunk.com/app/1486/

As for your errors surrounding a missing Table module, sounds as if you didn't include the SideviewUtils module in that view. Again, see the app's included documentation on that.

0 Karma

sideview
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Or, if you're getting missing Table module, it can mean that you have a 1.X build installed. I'm puzzled by the "My admin has installed it version is 1.1", almost like the actual installed version is 1.1 but the docs being used are 3.X.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Get the T-shirt to Prove You Survived Splunk University Bootcamp

As if Splunk University, in Las Vegas, in-person, with three days of bootcamps and labs weren’t enough, now ...

Wondering How to Build Resiliency in the Cloud?

IT leaders are choosing Splunk Cloud as an ideal cloud transformation platform to drive business resilience,  ...