All Apps and Add-ons

What Splunk server do you point the eStreamer config to? The Search Head the app is installed on or the indexers?

andrew_bostic1

The instructions below reference "splunk server".. which server are they referencing? The Search Head or indexers??

//Begin by creating the client certificate for the Splunk server from the Defense Center web interface. You can accomplish by logging into the Defense Center with an Admin account and selecting System > Local > Registration, then clicking the Create Client button. Sourcefire recommends that you use the IP address of the Splunk server rather than its hostname. The password is optional. Download the pkcs12 certificate and copy it onto the Splunk server.

0 Karma
1 Solution

Jeremiah
Motivator

Andrew,

You'd want to run it on a search head or on a heavy forwarder pointed at your indexers. Running it directly on an indexer would put all of the data on that single indexer. In a distributed environment, you want to spread the data evenly across your indexing tier. We like to run the data collection portion of these kinds of apps on forwarders, because it reduces the load on the search head and allows us to make changes to the configuration without impacting search activity.

View solution in original post

Jeremiah
Motivator

Andrew,

You'd want to run it on a search head or on a heavy forwarder pointed at your indexers. Running it directly on an indexer would put all of the data on that single indexer. In a distributed environment, you want to spread the data evenly across your indexing tier. We like to run the data collection portion of these kinds of apps on forwarders, because it reduces the load on the search head and allows us to make changes to the configuration without impacting search activity.

andrew_bostic1

So if I install on the Search Head, will the data be stored there or will it be distributed to my indexers (if i have the appropriate outputs.conf configured of course)???

At this point I do not have a HF to take this load.. but I could potentially get one. So the same question for this possibility, will the data be distributed to my indexers (if i have the appropriate outputs.conf configured of course)???

0 Karma

Jeremiah
Motivator

Yes, if you have your search head set to forward to your indexers (which is a best practice), then the data will be stored on the indexers. Same goes for your forwarder.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...