All Apps and Add-ons

USER_TTY - should it display NON root data ?

alexgwilkinson
Explorer

Hi there,

I have the Linux Auditd add working perfectly! IMO one of the best Splunk I have ever used.

Quick question: I can see all keystroke data executed by root by not by any other users. Is this expected behaviour? Or should I see keystrokes data for ALL users in the USER_TTY panel ?

Thanks

-Alex

0 Karma

doksu
Contributor

Thanks for the feedback @alexgwilkinson 🙂

I think the issue might be that PAM is configured on the host/s to only log for the root user. To check, run the following search then look at the auid field: [|inputlookup auditd_indicies] [|inputlookup auditd_sourcetypes] type="USER_TTY"

If there are only events for auid=0, then it supports the theory of a problem with the PAM config, specifically the "enable" parameter to pam_tty_audit.so. Please see an example here of how to configure it to log for all users: https://github.com/doksu/splunk_auditd/wiki/About-Auditd#enable-tty-logging

0 Karma

doksu
Contributor

The search in the User TTY dashboard uses user=* by default in the search arguments. That user field is automatically populated by the posix_identities lookup (via props.conf) by translating the auid field value to user, so if that lookup can't translate an auid to a user it may result it events not showing up in the dashboard. For this reason I suspect that the identities may not be populated correctly. I suggest checking your identities are being populated correctly by looking at each of the panes in the Help Dashboard.

0 Karma

alexgwilkinson
Explorer

Running the following I most definitely get user tty output:

#sudo aureport --tty -ts today

336. 28/05/18 12:22:23 2490591 571 ? 43278 zsh <^L>,"cd /op",<tab>,"spl",<tab>,"bin",<tab>,<^U>,"cd",<backspace>,<backspace>,<backspace>,"cd doc",<tab>,"pro",<tab>,<nl>,"ls -l",<nl>,"cd spl",<tab>,"app",<tab>,<nl>,"cd Li",<tab>,<nl>,"ls ",<^U>,"less Li",<tab>,<^L>,<nl>,<^D>

0 Karma

alexgwilkinson
Explorer

Hi,

Running the aforementioned search returns the auid populated e.g.

type=USER_TTY msg=audit(1527122575.703:2401630): pid=104782 uid=0 auid=571 ses=40954 subj=unconfined_u:unconfined_r:unconfined_t:s0-s0:c0.c1023 data="ls"

I have followed your documentation with a fine tooth comb. This is what I have for PAM (on RHEL 7.5):

/etc/pam.d/password-auth

session     required      pam_tty_audit.so enable=*

/etc/pam.d/system-auth

session     required      pam_tty_audit.so enable=*

Interestingly the following command yields zero results:

#sudo grep USER_TTY /var/log/audit/audit.log
#

Can you point me in a direction as to how to make this work ?

I presume from your response the expected behavior of the USER_TTY panel is to present non uid 0 keystroke data ?

Thanks!

-Alex

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...