All Apps and Add-ons

Sending SMS using Twilio

newbie2tech
Communicator

Hi All,

I have installed Twilio SMS Alerting app on our non production instance. I have configured the authtoken and account sid. I have created Twilio trial account and have generated trial phone number.

I have configured an alert to send both email and SMS. In the SMS part of twilio i have given info in below format

> from number=+1twiliousanumber 
> to number=+1usamobilenumber 
> with message=test msg from non-prod box

I scheduled the alert hourly , i recieve the email but not SMS.

When i looked at the splunkd logs i see below error and FATAL statements

INFO  sendmodalert - action=twilio STDERR -  Sending SMS via Twilio from number=+1twiliousanumber to number=+1usamobilenumber with message=test msg from nfr
ERROR sendmodalert - action=twilio STDERR -  Unable to find the server at api.twilio.com
FATAL sendmodalert - action=twilio STDERR -  Failed trying to send SMS Message via Twilio
INFO  sendmodalert - action=twilio - Alert action script completed in duration=96 ms with exit code=2
WARN  sendmodalert - action=twilio - Alert action script returned error code=2

I have looked up related questions but couldn't find much information.

Any idea as to why i am not receiving the sms. Do i need to do anything w.r.t gsm gateway settings.

Do you recommend any other approach/app which is better than twilio.

sudosplunk
Motivator

Hi there, I am not sure about "Twilio". But, if you're looking to send text messages from computer, most cellular companies in USA have a way to accomplish this. Using this format, number@cellphonecarrier.com, where "number" is the phone number of the cell phone to which you're sending the message, and "cellphonecarrier" is the domain name that allows recipients to receive e-mail text messages. For instance, to send a text message to cell phone 123-456-7890, enter 1234567890@cellphonecarrier.com

Here are the domain names of some of the more popular carriers

AT&T: @txt.att.net
Metro PCS: @metropcs.sms.us
Nextel: @messaging.nextel.com
Sprint: @messaging.sprintpcs.com
T-mobile: @tmomail.net
U.S. Cellular: @email.uscc.net
Verizon: @vtext.com
Virgin Mobile: @vtext.com

amanediel
Explorer

Hi everyone, I am getting a similar error-

ERROR sendmodalert - action=twilio STDERR - [Errno 111] Connection refused
FATAL sendmodalert - action=twilio STDERR - Failed trying to send SMS Message via Twilio
INFO sendmodalert - action=twilio - Alert action script completed in duration=64366 ms with exit code=2
WARN sendmodalert - action=twilio - Alert action script returned error code=2
ERROR sendmodalert - Error in 'sendalert' command: Alert script returned error code 2.

Can anyone help with this???

0 Karma

newbie2tech
Communicator

Hi team...any suggestions...

0 Karma

varun8159
Explorer

Same issue for me! any solutions !!

0 Karma

tcary99

Adding my +1 here. Fully configured as by the readme, no logging to tell me what is going on, and does not work.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...