All Apps and Add-ons

SNMP Modular Input : Is it possible to specify cron schedule for the inputs instead of number of seconds ?

splunkisawesome

Hi,

I am trying to setup SNMP inputs for devices with large number of interfaces and although everything works great, I notice that every time the poll runs, the interval between polls get extended by the time it takes to run the poll.
eg : 300 sec of interval set + 10 sec to run the poll = 310 sec.
These extra seconds gets added on every poll resulting in a gap of 1 event on the timechart (span=5m) graph every few hours due to the event time missing the 5 min mark on the timechart. If I increase the timechart span to 10 min, it works but I have a requirement to show 5min granularity. As a workaround, I tried reducing the interval value roughly to the amount of time it takes to run that poll which works however, that is not optimal as the poll time varies slightly and there are quite a few devices to setup.
I tried editing the stanza with /5 * * * * in inputs.conf but get an error "ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: '/5 * * * *'"

Was wondering if there is a way to specify a cron schedule like scripted inputs so that the poll runs on the dot every time regardless of how many seconds it takes to complete it?

Appreciate if someone can share any tips or point me in the right direction to tackle this.
Thanks in advance
DM

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

No there isn't.

But the code is on github , so you can always fork it and add any of your own custom features.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...