All Apps and Add-ons

Installation challenge: Unable to initialize modular input "jmx" defined inside the app "SPLUNK4JMX": Introspecting scheme=jmx: script running failed (exited with code 1).

banderson7
Communicator

3 search heads in a search head cluster, 1 deployment server, and 2 indexers. All now running Splunk 6.4.1. I'm attempting to install the SPLUNK4JMX app on the deployment server (it is also used as the DBConnect app server):

splunk@atlitpspdl1:~> echo $SPLUNK_HOME
/opt/splunk
splunk@atlitpspdl1:~> echo $JAVA_HOME
/home/splunkforwarder/jdk1.8.0_65

After I install the SPLUNK4JMX app, I get the message in the title, and after I restart, I still get the same message. I don't have a JMX modular input in Data Inputs.

I tried a suggestion from this thread:

$SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk cmd splunkd print-modinput-config jmx | $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk cmd $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/SPLUNK4JMX/bin/jmx.py

and got the following error:

splunk@atlitpspdl1:~> /opt/splunk/bin/splunk cmd splunkd print-modinput-config jmx | $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/splunk cmd $SPLUNK_HOME/bin/python /opt/splunk/etc/apps/SPLUNK4JMX/bin/jmx.py
Introspecting scheme=jmx: script running failed (exited with code 1).
Unable to initialize modular input "jmx"  defined inside the app "SPLUNK4JMX": Introspecting scheme=jmx: script running failed (exited with code 1).
Scheme "jmx" is not initialized.
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/SPLUNK4JMX/bin/jmx.py", line 154, in <module>
    do_run()
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/SPLUNK4JMX/bin/jmx.py", line 58, in do_run
    run_java()
  File "/opt/splunk/etc/apps/SPLUNK4JMX/bin/jmx.py", line 124, in run_java
    process = Popen(java_args)
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 710, in __init__
    errread, errwrite)
  File "/opt/splunk/lib/python2.7/subprocess.py", line 1335, in _execute_child
    raise child_exception
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

What I want to do is use this app to connect my Splunk search heads w/ my Java servers, starting w/ my Alfresco servers and use the Splunk Alfresco app to import that data for my alfresco devs. Would the Splunk_TA_JMX app be better for this task? Any help here would be useful. Thanks!

robertlynch2020
Motivator

Hi
I have the same issues, did you get this fixed?

Thanks
Robert

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

Looks like a problem running the java executable inside JAVA_HOME/bin/java.

Check your user OS permissions.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...

Share Your Ideas & Meet the Lantern team at .Conf! Plus All of This Month’s New ...

Splunk Lantern is Splunk’s customer success center that provides advice from Splunk experts on valuable data ...