All Apps and Add-ons

IMAP Mailbox: How do I prevent the app from indexing the "=20" character sequence in body of our emails?

vragosta
Path Finder

When IMAP Mailbox indexes the body of our emails into Splunk, it also indexes what is likely a control character (space or break?) in the body of the email which results in the email body being indexed as follows:

Date: =20
System Name: =20
System IP: =20
Version =20
Customer ID: =20

Is there anyway to strip the control character / prevent it from being indexed?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

vragosta
Path Finder

I'm not advocating a change be made to the project, but modifying printBody to use quopri.decodestring worked for me:

# ------------------------------------------------
# print body message to STDOUT for indexing
def printBody( self, message, body, cstr 😞
if message.has_key('Content-Transfer-Encoding') and message.get('Content-Transfer-Encoding')=='base64':
try:
body = base64.b64decode(body)
#cstr.write('decoded base64 successfully' + '\n')
except:
cstr.write('WARNING - could not decode base64' + '\n')
cstr.write(quopri.decodestring(body) + '\n')

NOTE: I am not a python programmer.

View solution in original post

vragosta
Path Finder

I'm not advocating a change be made to the project, but modifying printBody to use quopri.decodestring worked for me:

# print body message to STDOUT for indexing
def printBody( self, message, body, cstr 😞
if message.has_key('Content-Transfer-Encoding') and message.get('Content-Transfer-Encoding')=='base64':
try:
body = base64.b64decode(body)
#cstr.write('decoded base64 successfully' + '\n')
except:
cstr.write('WARNING - could not decode base64' + '\n')
cstr.write(quopri.decodestring(body) + '\n')

NOTE: I am not a python programmer.

pbalsley
Path Finder

Good idea. I will add it on myside as well see if it breaks anything, then I can include it in my next release.
thanks!

ragingwire
Path Finder

I had another person email me about this. but they were able to resolve it on their end. They did not tell me what fixed it.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...