All Apps and Add-ons

IIS logs and splunk license usage

bjmennen

Hi All,

Running Splunk 6 and using the Universal Forwarder (Version 6.0.182611) to forward IIS to splunk. Indexing is working correctly however we have had license breaches in the last 2 days since adding the IIS source where I believe we should have had spare capacity.

Question:

The size of the log files on the server (~120mb yesterday) doesn't seem to match the indexing size even closely. Running the search for yesterday (Only 1 IIS server currently so only 1 sourcetype=iis):

sourcetype=iis | eval size=len(_raw) | stats sum(size)

This search shows it at around around 700mb. Is there a trick to IIS and log usage? How would a 120mb log file consume so much more that its actual size?

This question seems similar to http://answers.splunk.com/answers/129381/iis-log-over-my-licensing which no one has responded.

Any tips, clues, links etc....

Brad

0 Karma

gavin_staplesau
Explorer

crcSalt was not enabled for the input.
It ended up being a bug in an older version (6.0.1). Upgrading splunk and the universal forwarders to 6.0.6 fixed this issue.

jonathansaenz
Explorer

I look forward to updating my forwarders from 6.0 to see if this alleviates our problem. This has been plaguing my production instance of splunk for months.

0 Karma

jonathansaenz
Explorer

I can now confirm that this fixed my issue as well. Thanks Gavin!

0 Karma

gavin_staplesau
Explorer

thanks bmacias84,

the query shows that it was indeed the new IIS logs that were breaking the license.

sourcetype=iis  | eval raw=_raw | convert ctime(_indextime) AS idxtime | stats count AS event_count dc(idxtime) as idxtimes_count, values(source), values(idxtime) by raw  | where event_count > 1

is showing that every event is being indexed multiple times. I am still working with support to solve the problem, but I will post any resolution here in case it helps anyone else.

0 Karma

bmacias84
Champion

I seen that occur when enabling ** crcSalt** on the inputs.conf. If a file role splunk will believe its a new file to index.

0 Karma

bmacias84
Champion

If you want to find out the usage the best way is to use the _internal index.

The flowing search will break license usage by sourcetype and index.
This should get you started

index=_internal source=*license_usage.log type=Usage earliest=-2d@d latest=-1d@d | rename st as sourcetype, idx as index, b as bytes | fields sourcetype index host bytes | stats sum(eval((bytes/1024)/1024)) as MB by sourcetype index

Cheers,

0 Karma

gavin_staplesau
Explorer

same here! splunk reporting 22GB of IIS logs for a day, when only 22Mb of IIS logs were found on the server

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...