All Apps and Add-ons

How to run setup.sh from splunk_TA_nix on HP UX 11.31 ?,Splunk add-on setup.sh error on HP UX

ovanpeve

running:

$ splunk cmd ../etc/apps/Splunk_TA_nix/bin/setup.sh
gives:
../etc/apps/Splunk_TA_nix/bin/setup.sh[18]: Syntax error at line 18 : `(' is not expected.

How can I run it successfuly?

Thanks!,when trying to configure the TA on an universal forwarder on HP UX 11.31, I gut the followin:

splunk cmd ../etc/apps/Splunk_TA_nix/bin/setup.sh

../etc/apps/Splunk_TA_nix/bin/setup.sh[18]: Syntax error at line 18 : `(' is not expected.

Any suggestion (other than updating all shell scripts) ?

Thanks!

0 Karma

ovanpeve

ls -l /bin/sh
-r-xr-xr-x 2 bin bin 682408 Aug 26 2011 /bin/sh

There is no bash available on the system.

0 Karma

DeronJensen
Explorer

What about running a different command in that directory to test the shell. You should be able to run them directly from the CLI. I use user "splunk" and can run ps.sh:

sudo su - splunk
.../Splunk_TA_nix/bin/ps.sh
splunk cmd .../Splunk_TA_nix/bin/ps.sh

Both seem to provide the same output. You could also try running the script with a different shell, and see what that provides. I am not an expert in HP UX but it appears as though the shell provided does not like the "function" syntax. By default this TA uses /bin/sh as a shell. You could try running a different shell, but I know ksh has enough differences to cause some issues:

/bin/ksh .../Splunk_TA_nix/bin/ps.sh
/bin/csh .../Splunk_TA_nix/bin/ps.sh

(These could also be in /usr/bin/*sh)

I could be completely wrong here, but that is what it appears to be. I don't have an HP UX system to test.

0 Karma

ovanpeve

Thanks but the problem is really the syntax of the "function".
I managed to run the script by removing all the "function" keywords (and adding open/close brackets where missing) as a definition of function should be one of:

function functname{
}

or

functname () {
}
0 Karma

ovanpeve

(edit: post has been mixed)
running:
$ splunk cmd ../etc/apps/Splunk_TA_nix/bin/setup.sh
gives:

How can I run it successfuly?

Thanks!

0 Karma

DeronJensen
Explorer

Can you check the shell you are running:
On mine it is:

# ls -l /bin/sh
lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 4 Apr 24 12:47 /bin/sh -> bash

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...