All Apps and Add-ons

How to configure the Splunk App for Unix and Linux to work on a Windows Machine?

samsplunkcap1

I am working on a Windows machine (Windows 7 64bit) with Splunk 6.4.1. I have installed the Splunk App for Unix and Linux, and the Add-on as well.

Now I'm trying to get the data to feed into Splunk so it can be indexed and my Windows setup for Splunk can display/index the data.

I read through the documentation, and if I get it correctly, I'm supposed to install the Universal Indexer onto the Unix (in my case) setup in order to send the data in a readable format into my install of Splunk.

The goal is to see the health of the Unix machines on my instance/setup of Splunk on my Windows 7 machine.

Am I on the right track? Has anyone successfully done a similar setup to what I'm trying to achieve? I have not delved into the scripting of config files which I also saw on the documentation for Splunk App for Unix/Linux... which I'm guessing I may have to mess with to get it working.... is this a correct assumption too?

I saw this thread below, which kind of seemed like he was trying to achieve the same thing:

https://answers.splunk.com/answers/237809/why-am-i-getting-this-error-trying-to-configure-th.html?ut...

0 Karma

malmoore
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi,

This procedure should get you up and running:

1. On the Windows instance, set up the instance to receive data from forwarders. You can use Splunk Web or the Splunk CLI. An example CLI follows:

cd C:\Program Files\Splunk
  .\splunk enable listen 9997 -auth admin:changeme
  .\splunk restart

• Download the Splunk App for Unix and Linux onto the Windows host.

• Install the Splunk App for Unix and Linux.
  •  cd C:\Program Files\Splunk
     .\splunk install app C:\Path\To\Splunk-App-for-Nix.tgz

• Install the Splunk Add-on for Unix and Linux onto the Windows instance.
  •  cd C:\Program Files\Splunk
     xcopy C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\splunk-app-for-nix\install\Splunk_TA_Nix C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps /s /e /v

• On the Unix host, download the Splunk universal forwarder (not indexer) for the version of Unix that the host runs.

• After downloading, unarchive the forwarder to the installation directory.

• cd /opt
    tar xvzf /path/to/splunk.tgz

• Change to the universal forwarder installation directory and configure it to send data to the Windows indexer:
  •   cd /opt/splunk
      ./splunk start
      [Accept the license agreement and wait for initial setup to complete]
      ./splunk add forward-server <host name of Windows indexer:9997>

• Download the Splunk Add-on for Unix and Linux onto the Unix host with the universal forwarder.

• Install the Splunk Add-on for Unix and Linux.
  •   cd /opt/splunk
      ./splunk install app /path/to/splunk-add-on-for-unix-and-linux.tgz
      ./splunk restart

• Configure the Splunk Add-on for Unix and Linux.
  •   export SPLUNK_HOME=/opt/splunk
      cd $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/Splunk_TA_nix
      . ./setup.sh

• Enter the Splunk username and password when prompted.

• Follow the prompts to enable or disable *nix inputs within the setup.sh program. For example, if you wanted to enable all of the Unix inputs, you would enter 2, then 2 again, then 1, then press Enter to return to the main menu, then enter 0 to exit the setup program.

• At this point the universal forwarder should begin sending data to your Windows indexer. You might need to restart the Unix forwarder for all the changes to take effect.

• Look on your Windows indexer for Unix data. You can confirm that data is arriving by invoking this search from within Splunk Web.
  • index=os host=<name of unix host>

If you don't see data, then make sure that:
    * You installed the Splunk Add-on for Unix and Linux onto the Windows host.
    * You configured the Splunk Add-on for Unix and Linux on the Unix host to enable the add-on inputs.
    * There is not a network connectivity problem between the Unix host and the Windows host.

• Load the Splunk App for Unix and Linux. You should see the Unix data appear there.
  • Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...