All Apps and Add-ons

How to automate Universal Forwarder msi install issue INSTALLDIR?

Ericsaccount1
Loves-to-Learn

Hello, I am trying to automate a msi install for Universal Forwarder 9.0.4

I can not get this to run with the INSTALLDIR in it. If I remove INSTALLDIR, the msi runs with no issues and installs to the default location. Every time I add the INSTALLDIR to the install windows will throw up the generic msi box. Per the documents this should work unless I am missing something? I am running this as an admin

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Forwarder/9.0.4/Forwarder/InstallaWindowsuniversalforwarderfro...

msiexec.exe /i "splunkforwarder-9.0.4-de405f4a7979-x64-release.msi" INSTALLDIR="e:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder" AGREETOLICENSE="Yes" WINEVENTLOG_APP_ENABLE=1 WINEVENTLOG_SEC_ENABLE=1 WINEVENTLOG_SYS_ENABLE=1 WINEVENTLOG_FWD_ENABLE=1 WINEVENTLOG_SET_ENABLE=1 PERFMON=cpu,memory,network,diskspace SPLUNKUSERNAME=splunk SPLUNKPASSWORD="secret" /quiet

Labels (2)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

you have unknown parameter INSTALLDIR. Docs didn't know it. You could try to use TARGETDIR like https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/msi/targetdir told.

One easy way to check why msiexe installation fails it add "/L*V <path to log file>" to get more logs.

r. Ismo

0 Karma

Ericsaccount1
Loves-to-Learn

When looking at the log I noticed all the parameters (below). I am thinking the some install parameters were missed by Splunk when the MSI Was created

Property(S): AdminProperties = AGREETOLICENSE;
CERTFILE;CERTPASSWORD;CLONEPREP;DEPLOYMENT_SERVER;DoNotInstallDrivers;ENABLEADMON;FAILCA;
FORCEINSTALLDRIVERS;KEEPSPLUNKHOME;LAUNCHSPLUNK;LOGON_PASSWORD;LOGON_USERNAME;MINPASSWORDDIGITLEN;MINPASSWORDLEN;
MINPASSWORDLOWERCASELEN;MINPASSWORDSPECIALCHARLEN;MINPASSWORDUPPERCASELEN;MONITOR_PATH;NEWERVERSIONDETECTED;os_OK;
OtherSplunkProductsPresent;PERFMON;PREVPRODUCTCODE;RECEIVING_INDEXER;ROOTCACERTFILE;SameProdCodeExists;SERVICESTARTTYPE;SET_ADMIN_USER;
SetSplunkPassword;SetupCertData;SetupServiceConfig;SPLUNKD_PORT;SPLUNKPASSWORD;SPLUNKUSERNAME;UIAdmon;UIApplicationLog;UICertFile;UICertPassword;
UIConfirmCertPassword;UIConfirmDomainPassword;UIDeplSrv;UIDeplSrvPort;UIDomainAccount;UIDomainPassword;UIForwardedEventsLog;UIMonPath;UINoDeplSrvOrIndexer;
UIPerfCpu;UIPerfDisk;UIPerfMemory;UIPerfNetstat;UIRecvIdx;UIRecvIdxPort;UIRootCertFile;UISecurityLog;UISetupLog;UISplunkPassword;UISplunkPasswordConfirm;
UISplunkPasswordInvalid;UISplunkUsername;UISplunkUsernameInvalid;UISystemLog;ValidatePassword;WINEVENTLOG_APP_ENABLE;WINEVENTLOG_FWD_ENABLE;WINEVENTLOG_SEC_ENABLE;
WINEVENTLOG_SET_ENABLE;WINEVENTLOG_SYS_ENABLE

Property(S): SecureCustomProperties = ARPNOMODIFY;NEWERVERSIONDETECTED;PREVPRODUCTCODE

Property(S): MsiHiddenProperties = CopyCerts;GenRandomPassword;LOGON_PASSWORD;SetSplunkPassword;SetupCert;SetupCertData
;SetupServiceConfig;SPLUNKPASSWORD;SPLUNKUSERNAME;UICertPassword;UIConfirmCertPassword;UIConfirmDomainPassword;UIDomainPassword
;UISplunkPassword;UISplunkPasswordConfirm;UISplunkUsername;ValidatePassword

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I think that those are splunk specific parameters in log. Then there are those common for all installation. Please try to change INSTALLDIR to TARGETDIR and then report if it works or not, so other people will also know that.

0 Karma

Ericsaccount1
Loves-to-Learn

I have tired both INSTALLDIR and TARGETDIR with same results. If I remove them the command will  run with on issues. 

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...