All Apps and Add-ons

Fix request for NMON app v1.5

jpagan
Explorer

As of Splunk NMON app v1.5.0, non-Splunk NMON processes are being killed by Splunk App for NMON. After troubleshooting, it was determined to be caused by the value definition of the $PIDs variable in nmon_helper.sh. Please refine this definition to include $SPLUNK_HOME, thereby ensuring only Splunk spawned NMON processes are killed by Splunk. See below.

PIDs=ps -ef | grep ${NMON} | grep ${MYUSER} | grep $SPLUNK_HOME | grep -v grep | awk '{print $2}'

Thanks!
JP

1 Solution

guilmxm
Influencer

Hi jpagan,

Thank your for reporting this, and for your analysis.
A corrective version will be published very as soon as possible.

Sorry for inconvenient 🙂

Guilhem

View solution in original post

guilmxm
Influencer

Hi,

A new release V1.5.14 has been published.

This version brings a new version of the third party script "nmon_helper.sh" that uses a different mechanism to identify processes related to the Nmon App (on AIX it uses procfiles, lsof on Linux, pfiles on Solaris) to prevent from killing non App related nmon instances.

Feel free to inform me in case of any trouble.

Guilhem

guilmxm
Influencer

Hi jpagan,

Thank your for reporting this, and for your analysis.
A corrective version will be published very as soon as possible.

Sorry for inconvenient 🙂

Guilhem

guilmxm
Influencer

@jpagan:

Adding the $SPLUNK_HOME will cause trouble for Linux clients when nmon is available in the system path, resulting multiplication of nmon instances each time the script runs.

I have something that might be a good solution, adding an arbitrary pattern after last nmon option in the command line does seem to generate any trouble in Linux.

But i i can't test this on AIX hosts, could you test that for me please ?

The idea would to run the nmon command with a custom string that will be used to identify the process of the App.

like running:

${NMON} -f -T -A -d -K -L -M -P -^ -N -s ${interval} -c ${snapshot} splunkapp

That would help me lot !

0 Karma

jpagan
Explorer

I will test and get back to you.

0 Karma

guilmxm
Influencer

Hi jpagan,

Have you been able to test adding a custom pattern at the end of the nmon cmd line on one AIX host ?
The release is ready to be published...

0 Karma

guilmxm
Influencer

Hi !

Any update ?

Thanks

0 Karma

guilmxm
Influencer

great, you will find the corrective release in Github:

https://github.com/guilhemmarchand/nmon-for-splunk/tree/hostfix_20150204_splunktag

0 Karma

ppablo
Retired

Hi @jpagan

The author of the app @guilmxm is very responsive here on Splunk Answers so I'm sure he'll respond soon, but just for future reference, you can always contact them directly. The contact information for the developer of an app is located on the bottom right panel on the app's page https://apps.splunk.com/app/1753/

Guilhem Marchand
guilhem.marchand@gmail.com

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...