All Apps and Add-ons

Append or Join related in Splunk

deepeshk79
Explorer

Hi - I'm trying to read two different elements within each search record and them show their count so its like

Record 1 - key1, key 2 Record 2 - key1, key 3
Record 3 - key1, key3, key2

The result i'm trying to get is
Key 1 - count of 3
Key 2 - count of 2
key 3 - count of 2

So when i search first i get the raw, look for key 1 and do a stat with count for key 1, then i append a new search query look for key 2 and then do a stat with count for key 2 etc..

The problem is when i append it does not just add the new values as rows but it adds it as columns which is weird, so output is like
key 1 - 3 key2 - 2 key3- 3

I want them vertically one below another and not in this horizontal way...

Pls advise..

0 Karma
1 Solution

Runals
Motivator

Try ... | stats count(eval(key1="foo")) as key1 count(eval(key2="bar")) as key2

There are a couple other options depending on what "key" is though which seems to be the issue. An over the top way could be

... | stats count by key1 | append [search .... | stats count by key2]

But that generally isn't needed.

View solution in original post

Runals
Motivator

Try ... | stats count(eval(key1="foo")) as key1 count(eval(key2="bar")) as key2

There are a couple other options depending on what "key" is though which seems to be the issue. An over the top way could be

But that generally isn't needed.

deepeshk79
Explorer

As suggested by Runals, to append results of queries one below another use append

Note - appendcols will append as columns

deepeshk79
Explorer

Thanks Runals , it worked, I was trying appendcols instead of append so it was appending as columns. With append - it's adding all the rows one below another.

0 Karma

Runals
Motivator

Can you post so more concrete examples? I'm trying to understand why a ... | stats count by key isn't working. Not knowing what "key" is or what sort of field extraction you've setup you could try something like

sourcetype=foo | rex max_match=0 "(?<key>key\d+)" | stats count as events by key | stats count by events 

but I'm not sure what that would output relative to your data

deepeshk79
Explorer

Hi Runals - let me put my ques in a diff way - how can i append two stat results one below another ?
for e.g. stats count(key1) by key1 | stats count(key2) by key2

where key1 = some eval expression
and key2 = some eval expression

Thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

REGISTER NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If ...

Observability | Use Synthetic Monitoring for Website Metadata Verification

If you are on Splunk Observability Cloud, you may already have Synthetic Monitoringin your observability ...

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...