All Apps and Add-ons

App is not deployed to client if the computer name does not match the Splunk hostname.

aaronvt
Loves-to-Learn

We have a server class configuration that looks something like this:

[serverClass:ewda_nonprod_rw]
blacklist.0 = eon-prod*
whitelist.0 = eon-test*
whitelist.1 = eon-*

[serverClass:ewda_nonprod_rw:app:ewda_nonprod_rw]
#restartSplunkWeb = 0
restartSplunkd = 1
stateOnClient = enabled

After installing the Splunk Universal Forwarder, if I rename a Windows Server computer to eon-avt-api-i-xxxxxxxxxx, set the default hostname in  C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\system\local\inputs.conf to the same name, and restart the Splunk service then the ewda_nonprod_rw app will be deployed to the computer and all the correct logs will be shown in Splunk Cloud under the hostname eon-avt-api-i-xxxxxxxxxx.

We no longer want to rename the computer to match the hostname we want to use for Splunk but I can not get the ewda_nonprod_rw to be deployed to client without renaming the computer. If I do not rename the computer and only set the default hostname in  C:\Program Files\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\system\local\inputs.conf to eon-avt-api-i-xxxxxxxxxx and restart the Splunk service then the ewda_nonprod_rw app will not be deployed to the computer and the only logs available in Splunk Cloud under the hostname eon-avt-api-i-xxxxxxxxxx  are from the default splunkd and wineventlog sourcetypes. I have also tried setting the server.conf file's serverName to eon-avt-api-i-xxxxxxxxxx with no luck.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...