Alerting

How to stop splunk sending multiple emails for single violation ?

Lekharavi
Engager

My Splunk alerts are configured to send an e-mail when triggered. How do I make sure that Splunk only sends one e-mail per violation? It seems to be sending multiple emails everytime for same violation. 

Settings are as follows

Run on cron schedule
time range: -24h
cron: 42 * * * *
trigger when number of results is >0
trigger : Once
throttle : 60s

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Spranta
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You run the search every 42 past the full hour but your search is looking back 24 hours, am i right?
So i when the scheduler is running the search at 0:42 you will find all events from the past 24 hours, if the search will run the next time at 1:42 it will also send you all the events from the past 24 hours, also the events which have been sent in the previous run at 0:42 with the exeption that the events between 0:42 and 1:42 are not included.. - you know that i mean? but you have overlaping timeranges, so events will be send multiple times. Change the time range to -1h or the cron only to run the search only once daily:  for example 00 1 * * *

View solution in original post

Spranta
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You run the search every 42 past the full hour but your search is looking back 24 hours, am i right?
So i when the scheduler is running the search at 0:42 you will find all events from the past 24 hours, if the search will run the next time at 1:42 it will also send you all the events from the past 24 hours, also the events which have been sent in the previous run at 0:42 with the exeption that the events between 0:42 and 1:42 are not included.. - you know that i mean? but you have overlaping timeranges, so events will be send multiple times. Change the time range to -1h or the cron only to run the search only once daily:  for example 00 1 * * *

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...