Alerting

Attempting to Track authentications from a single src to many destinations within a time period

bavituity

This is the current query,  but it's  not really providing the needed data for the search.

index=main sourcetype=XmlWinEventLog EventCode=4624 Logon_Type=3

| transaction src maxspan=10m maxpause=2m

| stats dc(dest) as Dest_Count, values(dest) as Target_Systems by src

| search Dest_Count >35

| sort - Dest_Count

I really don't care about the Dest_Count >35 it was  and attempt to gather something  to start with. I was told to research the transaction command to obtain the required results.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The transaction command may help, but not with those options.

| transaction src maxspan=10m maxpause=2m

says to combine events with the same value in the src field and to close the transaction after 10 minutes or if there is a gap of at least 2 minutes between events.  That doesn't meet the requirements as I understand them.  Perhaps this will get you closer:

| transaction src maxspan=2m
| where eventcount > 10
| sort - eventcount 

Be warned that transaction is an inefficient command.  A faster method uses streamstats (adapted from https://community.splunk.com/t5/Splunk-Search/Multiple-Login-Failure-Attempts/td-p/325933)

| streamstats time_window=2m dc(dest) AS Dest_Count BY src 
| where Dest_Count >= 10
| sort - Dest_Count
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

bavituity

How would I combine this output to look similar to this, as and example . I may have selected the wrong options, but the requirements are still the same.

SRC(Source System)                                                                                      Dest_count                     Target_Systems 

Host123                                                                                                                     5                                              Hosta

Hostb

Hostc

Hostd

Hoste

Hoste

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Try this.  The stats command does the grouping you seek.

| streamstats time_window=2m dc(dest) AS Dest_Count BY src 
| where Dest_Count >= 10
| stats values(Dest_Count) as Dest_Count, values(dest) as Target_Systems by src
| sort - Dest_Count
---
0 Karma

bavituity

Thanks for your response,

The required results is to determine if a system singe system was logging into multiple systems within a time period.  If system credentials were compromised they may be logging into multiple systems within a time span.  I understand event 4624 is a legitimate log, but it may  indicate a possible issue if logging from the same system into multiple devices. I really don't need the | where Dest_Count >35. I need to know for example within 2 minutes if  10 successful logins from the same system. That's why I was attempting to use the | transaction src maxspan=10m maxpause=2m.  I hope that clears up the requirements.

0 Karma

bavituity

Thanks for your response,

The required results is to determine if a system singe system was logging into multiple systems within a time period.  If system credentials were compromised they may be logging into multiple systems within a time span.  I understand event 4624 is a legitimate log, but it may  indicate a possible issue if logging from the same system into multiple devices. I really don't need the | where Dest_Count >35. I need to know for example within 2 minutes if  10 successful logins from the same system. That's why I was attempting to use the | transaction src maxspan=10m maxpause=2m.  I hope that clears up the requirements.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It would help if you said what the required results are, but I think the transaction command is not needed.  Try this query, which assumes the dest and src fields already exist.

| stats dc(dest) as Dest_Count, values(dest) as Target_Systems by src
| where Dest_Count >35
| sort - Dest_Count

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk APM: New Product Features + Community Office Hours Recap!

Howdy Splunk Community! Over the past few months, we’ve had a lot going on in the world of Splunk Application ...

Index This | Forward, I’m heavy; backward, I’m not. What am I?

April 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

A Guide To Cloud Migration Success

As enterprises’ rapid expansion to the cloud continues, IT leaders are continuously looking for ways to focus ...