Aravind_Sridhar

Hi,
I have an async producer/consumer each logging something like:

producer:
log.info("id=123, status=produced);

consumer:
log.info("id=123, status=consumed");

where id is the transaction ID.

I want to get alerted only when producer is producing and for some reason consumer stopped consuming.

I did write something like:

index="myindex" sourcetype="mysourcetype" | transaction id startswith=(status="produced") endswith=(status="consumed") keepevicted=true maxevents=10 | stats count by closed_txn

Then I ran both producer and consumer simultaneously and observed Splunk showing 0 and 1 for closed_txn.

My assumption is that I should see closed_txn as 1 as both consumer and producer are running.

Later I killed the consumer and let the producer keep running.

Still I get closed_txn showing up as 1 and 0 whereas I thought Splunk should only report 0 as the transaction failed as there is no log from consumer.

I am not sure if I am doing it right.

In summary I want to get alerted when there is production but no consumption.

I don't want to get alerted when there is no production.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hi @Aravind_Sridharan@intuit.com,

Your assumptions are right about the closed_txn as you can see here :
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.6/SearchReference/Transaction

Your problem could be due to the search being too memory intensive, see bellow between the ** from the doc above :

keepevicted
Syntax: keepevicted=<bool>
Description: Whether to output evicted transactions. Evicted transactions can be distinguished from non-evicted transactions by checking the value of the 'closed_txn' field. The 'closed_txn' field is set to '0', or false, for evicted transactions and '1', or true for non-evicted, or closed, transactions. The 'closed_txn' field is set to '1' if one of the following conditions is met: maxevents, maxpause, maxspan, startswith. For startswith, because the transaction command sees events in reverse time order, it closes a transaction when it satisfies the start condition. **If none of these conditions is specified, all transactions are output even though all transactions will have 'closed_txn' set to '0'. A transaction can also be evicted when the memory limitations are reached**.
Default: false or 0

You could use a more optimized way (processor-wise) to handle your query while avoiding transactions :

index="myindex" sourcetype="mysourcetype" status="produced" OR status="consumed"
 |stats values(status) as status, dc(status) as count by id 
 |where count <2 AND status!="consumed"

Cheers,
David

0 Karma

Aravind_Sridhar

Thank you.

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

@Aravind_Sridharan@intuit.com ,

Try this and test against your requirement

index="myindex" sourcetype="mysourcetype" (status="produced" OR status="consumed")
|stats values(status) as status,dc(status) as count by id |where count <2 AND isnotnull(mvfind(status,"produced"))

Alerts when there is only one status for a transaction which is produced.

You may change the where condition according to your final requirement

---
What goes around comes around. If it helps, hit it with Karma 🙂
0 Karma

Aravind_Sridhar

When I run this, I do see a few search results when consumer is not fast enough processing it. Is there a way to add delay say up to 5-10 seconds as sometimes I do see consumer getting messages after 5+ seconds?

0 Karma

renjith_nair
Legend

try adding a condition based on time as well. Please test it thoroughly

index="myindex" sourcetype="mysourcetype" (status="produced" OR status="consumed")
 |stats values(status) as status,dc(status) as count, latest(eval(if(status=="produced",_time,null()))) as time by id 
 |where count <2 AND isnotnull(mvfind(status,"produced")) AND (now()-time) > 10
---
What goes around comes around. If it helps, hit it with Karma 🙂
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Observability | Use Synthetic Monitoring for Website Metadata Verification

If you are on Splunk Observability Cloud, you may already have Synthetic Monitoringin your observability ...

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...