Splunk Search

Why are stats functions first() and latest() not returning the same result?

afieffe
Engager

Hello,

I am a little bit confused by the functions latest() and earliest().
Running this search:

index=myindex sourcetype=mysourcetype | stats first(myfield) latest(myfield) earliest(myfield) last(myfield) by sourcetype

Gives us

first(myfield)      latest(myfield) earliest(myfield) last(myfield) 
    1434767753.755  1434767758.840  1383228859.223  1383228859.223

It is, from my point of view, normal to have the same value returned by earliest() and last(), as we did not change the order of the events. I am surprised to receive different values for first() and latest().

If we run:

index=myindex sourcetype=mysourcetype | head 1 | table myfield

We get:

myfield

The value returned by latest() seems to be correct. What is returned by first()?

Regards

PS - We are running on Splunk Enterprise 6.2.3

Tags (3)
0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

first() gives you the value first seen by the reporting command, with no regard for the timestamp. Depending on what's returned first to the search head from the indexers this may or may not match with latest().

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...