Splunk Search

Timechart prepends "VALUE' to table header values

trodenbaugh
Explorer

I'm trying to use a timechart function to display folder names and their sizes over time. When I do this, the string "VALUE" is prepended to each of the table header values.

My search:

| timechart span=2h max(DirectorySize) by FolderName

The data is displayed correctly but the series values have the string "VALUE" prepended to them. Example:
_time OTHER VALUE_folder1 VALUE_folder2 VALUE_folder3

Also note that my folder names start with an underscore. I'm thinking that may be triggering this behavior.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Karma
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is intended behaviour.

By default, the field values of FolderName become the new field names. However, field names beginning with an underscore denote internal fields that are hidden from view. To avoid this unintentionally hiding all your folder names, VALUE is prepended to your field names.

You can change the outcome like this:

... | timechart ... by FolderName | rename VALUE_* as whatever*

That'll replace all the VALUE_ prefixes with whatever in field names beginning with that prefix.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

This is intended behaviour.

By default, the field values of FolderName become the new field names. However, field names beginning with an underscore denote internal fields that are hidden from view. To avoid this unintentionally hiding all your folder names, VALUE is prepended to your field names.

You can change the outcome like this:

... | timechart ... by FolderName | rename VALUE_* as whatever*

That'll replace all the VALUE_ prefixes with whatever in field names beginning with that prefix.

0 Karma

trodenbaugh
Explorer

That works - very easy solution. Thanks.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...