Splunk Search

Search in square brackets

vanheer
Explorer

I don't understand how this works, what should replace the square brackets in this situation or what does the search works here?

index=123 sourcetype=grades [|search index=123 sourcetype=grades line=6 AND class=4|return Name]

Can anyone explain this please?

I've tried to make it more simple with one search and get rid of the square brackets, but I always get different results.

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi

You could evaluate this by running this 

index=123 sourcetype=grades line=6 AND class=4 
| return Name

If you have events which those values it returns

Name="<value of field Name>"

Then it use that with your outer search 

r. Ismo

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The search in the square brackets (the subsearch) is executed first. The results are then used to filter the main search. For example, if the subsearch returns 3 rows, these will be separate by ORs and the fields returned in each row will be separated by ANDs.

index=123 sourcetype=grades ((line=6 AND class=4 AND index=123 AND _time=<whatever the time of the event is> AND <whatever other fields are in the event>) OR (line=6 AND class=4 AND index=123 AND _time=<whatever the time of the next event is> AND so on))
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Your Guide to SPL2 at .conf24!

So, you’re headed to .conf24? You’re in for a good time. Las Vegas weather is just *chef’s kiss* beautiful in ...

Get ready to show some Splunk Certification swagger at .conf24!

Dive into the deep end of data by earning a Splunk Certification at .conf24. We're enticing you again this ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Now On-Demand Join us to learn more about how you can leverage Service Level Objectives (SLOs) and the new ...