Splunk Search

Search for Multiples Values and extract them into a single field?

ito27

Can you please help me to figure out how can I extract multiple values in a source and extract them into a single field?

For example, how can I make these two values that I am searching to be extracted to a field named "web_brwoser":

sourcetype="iis-369" | rex field=_raw "(?P\W\w\w\w\w\w\w\W\d\d\d\W\d\d\s\d\d\d),(?:\W\w\w\w\w\W\d\W\d)"

Do I have to type "AND" between the two values? I tried it already and it did not work.
Also, I tried to type "|" = "or" and it don't work either.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

bjoernjensen
Contributor

Hey there,

this depends a little on how you would like those values to be shown. Assuming you would like to have a multi value field something like this should work:

sourcetype="iis-369" | rex field=_raw "(?WwwwwwwWdddWddsddd)" | rex field=_raw "(?WwwwwWdWd)" | eval web_browser = field1 + ":" + field2 | makemv delim=":" web_browser | table _time web_browser _raw

This runs rex twice and builds the mv field 'web_browser' using ':' as separator. You should of course be sure your rex does not match that delimiter.

0 Karma

ito27

How can I search for all the values needed and extract them in different fields at the same time? So, the command log get saved by the time I work with the second field. Because there is where my problem come up doing everything at once. For example I type AND or OR in the search bar but it gave me an error because I have duplicated commands.

0 Karma

jstockamp
Communicator

To combine two fields you can use "eval combined_field = field1 ."-". field2" - that will combine them with a hyphen between.

0 Karma

bjoernjensen
Contributor

Sample data would be very useful. I guess there should be some (regex) way to match "all values needed" inspecting the vicinity.

0 Karma

jstockamp
Communicator

I'm having a hard time understanding what you're trying to do. Maybe posting some sample data would be useful. You can easily extract multiple fields in a single rex command.

ito27

How can I search for all the values needed and extract them in different fields at the same time? So, the command log get saved by the time I work with the second field. Because there is where my problem come up doing everything at once. For example I type AND or OR in the search bar but it gave me an error because I have duplicated commands.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Stay Connected: Your Guide to May Tech Talks, Office Hours, and Webinars!

Take a look below to explore our upcoming Community Office Hours, Tech Talks, and Webinars this month. This ...

They're back! Join the SplunkTrust and MVP at .conf24

With our highly anticipated annual conference, .conf, comes the fez-wearers you can trust! The SplunkTrust, as ...

Enterprise Security Content Update (ESCU) | New Releases

Last month, the Splunk Threat Research Team had two releases of new security content via the Enterprise ...