Splunk Search

Search a word not indexed

simisreedharan
Engager

Suppose i search for a word that is not indexed by splunk, whether those logs which contain that word will be returned during search?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

MousumiChowdhur
Contributor

Hi @simisreedharan,

Yes, if your log contains that keyword it will be returned during the search. Can you elaborate more on your requirement or use case?

Thank You!

0 Karma

simisreedharan
Engager

Thanks for the reply. I just started learning splunk. So this question arose in my mind. So thought of asking.

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

Hi @simisreedharan,

Could you please clarify your question ?

If data is not indexed by Splunk you cannot search it. If you mean to ask about searching for a word that is not extracted as a field then the answer is yes it is possible. You simply run your search as follows :

index=yourIndex "yourWordHere"

That will return any events that contain the word you are searching for.

Cheers,
David

0 Karma

simisreedharan
Engager

Thanks for the answer.

0 Karma

DavidHourani
Super Champion

you're most welcome ! please accept if it helped 😉

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Database Performance Sidebar Panel Now on APM Database Query Performance & Service ...

We’ve streamlined the troubleshooting experience for database-related service issues by adding a database ...

IM Landing Page Filter - Now Available

We’ve added the capability for you to filter across the summary details on the main Infrastructure Monitoring ...

Dynamic Links from Alerts to IM Navigators - New in Observability Cloud

Splunk continues to improve the troubleshooting experience in Observability Cloud with this latest enhancement ...