Splunk Search

How to write regex to extract three digit numbers from a CSV file and assign the values to a new field?

karthikTIL
Path Finder

HI,

I have source file test.csv which has words like "abc-234 " , "456", "df 654", "er567 -ly".
In all the above words, i want to take only three digit numbers and assign to a field called "eng".
Please let me know how would be the regular expression would be?

Tags (2)
1 Solution

MuS
Legend

Hi karthikTIL,

use something like this:

your base search here | rex "(?<eng>\d{3})" | ...

hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

View solution in original post

MuS
Legend

Hi karthikTIL,

use something like this:

your base search here | rex "(?<eng>\d{3})" | ...

hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

karthikTIL
Path Finder

HI MuS,

sorry, i forgot to add.
All my words occur after "Title #:"
e.g. Title #: df 654

so i used,

your base search here | rex "Title #:(?\d{3})" | ...

but it did not give any result

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Sure this will not work, because this regex does not match and you did not specify a field name for the group.
Why didn't you try the regex I provided? This will catch all 3 digit numbers, no matter what comes before or after.
But if you really need to match only the Title #: numbers use something like this:

your base search here | rex "Title\s\#\:[\s\w\-]+(?<eng>\d{3})" | ...

and please don't use your base search here as your search, this is only a place holder 😉

karthikTIL
Path Finder

Thanks MuS, it worked now.
actually i specified field in my query earlier, but it was not displayed in my query above:)

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

you're welcome. please mark this as answered if the provided answer was correct - thx

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...

.conf24 | Personalize your .conf experience with Learning Paths!

Personalize your .conf24 Experience Learning paths allow you to level up your skill sets and dive deeper ...

Threat Hunting Unlocked: How to Uplevel Your Threat Hunting With the PEAK Framework ...

WATCH NOWAs AI starts tackling low level alerts, it's more critical than ever to uplevel your threat hunting ...