Splunk Search

How to obtain a sum of averages

rrustong
Explorer

I have a data set that looks similar to the sample lines below and I'm having a difficult time finding a good way to get averages of some events, and then sum the averages together. I'm hoping that someone can help me work out a search to get the data I need.

Here are a few sample events:

"2015-03-03 22:00:00" CLIENT_NAME="ClientA", LOCATION="locationA", VALUE=2
"2015-03-03 23:00:00" CLIENT_NAME="ClientA", LOCATION="locationA", VALUE=3
"2015-03-03 24:00:00" CLIENT_NAME="ClientA", LOCATION="locationA", VALUE=4
"2015-03-03 22:00:00" CLIENT_NAME="ClientA", LOCATION="locationB", VALUE=2
"2015-03-03 23:00:00" CLIENT_NAME="ClientA", LOCATION="locationB", VALUE=2
"2015-03-03 24:00:00" CLIENT_NAME="ClientA", LOCATION="locationB", VALUE=3
"2015-03-04 22:00:00" CLIENT_NAME="ClientA", LOCATION="locationA", VALUE=5
"2015-03-04 23:00:00" CLIENT_NAME="ClientA", LOCATION="locationA", VALUE=4
"2015-03-04 24:00:00" CLIENT_NAME="ClientA", LOCATION="locationA", VALUE=10
"2015-03-04 22:00:00" CLIENT_NAME="ClientA", LOCATION="locationB", VALUE=2
"2015-03-04 23:00:00" CLIENT_NAME="ClientA", LOCATION="locationB", VALUE=4
"2015-03-04 24:00:00" CLIENT_NAME="ClientA", LOCATION="locationB", VALUE=6

I have worked out a pivot table that gives me the following fields, but the last field does not contain the data that I want (this is what I'm asking for help with):

Time (per day),   locationA,   locationB,   ALL
2015-03-03,       3,           2.33,        2.65
2015-03-04,       6.33,        4,           5.165

The values under "locationA" and "locationB" are an average of the values for that day, which is exactly what I want. However, the values under the "ALL" column are an average of what is under "locationA" and "locationB". What I want in the "ALL" column is a sum of the locationA + locationB values. So the ALL column should contain 5.33 and 10.33 for 2015-03-03 and 2015-03-04 respectively.

This is the command generated by my pivot table:

| pivot myDataModel myDataModelObject avg(VALUE) AS "Average of VALUE" SPLITROW _time AS _time PERIOD day SPLITCOL LOCATION FILTER CLIENT_NAME is ClientA SORT 100 _time ROWSUMMARY 0 COLSUMMARY 1 NUMCOLS 100 SHOWOTHER 0

I do not need to do this within a pivot table, but doing so has gotten me closer than any other search that I've tried to write. I really just need to be able to get the values and will likely need to apply them to a bar graph, but I'm sure I can work out a visualization once I have the data that I'm after.

Just to make sure I'm communicating my requirements clearly, this is what I need to get from the data set:

1. average of the VALUEs for each LOCATION per day
    1. average for locationA on the 3rd,
    2. average for locationA on the 4th,
    3. average for locationB on the 3rd,
    4. average for locationB on the 4th
  2. then I need to add all averages for each day to get a total per CLIENT
    1. Sum of "average for locationA on the 3rd" and "average for locationB on the 3rd"
    2. Sum of "average for locationA on the 4th" and "average for locationB on the 4th"

(side note - I can't seem to figure out how to make a nested list...)

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

... | bucket _time span=1d | chart avg(VALUE) over _time BY LOCATION | fieldformat _time=strftime(_time, "%Y/%m/%d") | addtotals fieldname="ALL"

View solution in original post

0 Karma

bmacias84
Champion

You could try something like this.

... | eval locationB=if(LOCATION=="locationB",value, isnull())|locationA=if(LOCATION=="locationA",value, isnull()) | bucket _time span =1d | stats avg(locationA)  as locationA, avg(locationB)  as locationB, avg(value) as ALL by _time 
0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Like this:

... | bucket _time span=1d | chart avg(VALUE) over _time BY LOCATION | fieldformat _time=strftime(_time, "%Y/%m/%d") | addtotals fieldname="ALL"
0 Karma

rrustong
Explorer

This appears to do exactly what I need. I figured I would need to use buckets, but couldn't wrap my head around what to do with it after that. Thank you.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

REGISTER NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If ...

Observability | Use Synthetic Monitoring for Website Metadata Verification

If you are on Splunk Observability Cloud, you may already have Synthetic Monitoringin your observability ...

More Ways To Control Your Costs With Archived Metrics | Register for Tech Talk

Tuesday, May 14, 2024  |  11AM PT / 2PM ET Register to Attend Join us for this Tech Talk and learn how to ...