Splunk Search

How to get ip range lookup?

abi2023
Path Finder

I uploaded csv lookup table has 2 field location and iprange.

iS THERE WAY TO GET WHAT ARE POSSIBLE IP IN EACH RANGE. SO I CAN ENTER IP address it will return the location for that range?

Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If your IP ranges are defined as CIDR ranges then you can make a lookup using the IP range as a CIDR lookup field and then you can give a lookup for an IP address and it will return location.

See the lookup documentation

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.3/SearchReference/Lookup

0 Karma

ITWhisperer
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

How is iprange defined?

0 Karma

abi2023
Path Finder

|inputlookup demo.csv
| eval ip = "xx.xxx.xxx.xxx" ```Enter IP address you the Match```
| eval result=if(cidrmatch(ip_range, ip), "true", "false")
| search result="true"

i am using above spl to return result for the ip address associated with the IP range in lookup table. this work fine.

I want do same thing when index=main has field ip which contains IP address. I need to invoke cidrmatch out result assiate with same iprange. how do modifiy my SPL. SINCE lookup table and my index info has nothing in common other than Ip field i have and lookup table has ip tange info. Is there way i can use lookup cammand do this?

Thanks

0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yes, you need to make a lookup DEFINITION based on the lookup file. In the advanced options for the definition add CIDR(ip_range)

In your SPL you do

index=main
| lookup definition_name ip_range as ip OUTPUT ip_range as found

then you will have the found field as your range if the IP is found or null if not found

so you can do this

| where isnotnull(found)

which will find those that match the range.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Enter the Dashboard Challenge and Watch the .conf24 Global Broadcast!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is still happening, and it's not too late to enter for the week of ...

Join Us at the Builder Bar at .conf24 – Empowering Innovation and Collaboration

What is the Builder Bar? The Builder Bar is more than just a place; it's a hub of creativity, collaboration, ...

Combine Multiline Logs into a Single Event with SOCK - a Guide for Advanced Users

This article is the continuation of the “Combine multiline logs into a single event with SOCK - a step-by-step ...